GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rosa moyesii from seed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/90146-rosa-moyesii-seed.html)

Ornata 23-02-2005 10:49 AM

Rosa moyesii from seed

Hi. I've bought some seeds of Rosa moyesii. Does anybody have any tips on germination? I've read it can take up to 2 years. I haven't been able to find much information on the web but a couple of sources suggest starting the seeds in warmth (although one says 15-20C and the other 20-27C) for a few (maybe four?) weeks, then moving them to either 4 or 3 degrees C, although by then I suppose it will be too warm to do that part of the process outdoors and I'll have to put them in the fridge. Or would it be best just to start them in a tray outdoors and let the weather work on them?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Charles Perry 23-02-2005 03:29 PM

Ornata wrote:

Hi. I've bought some seeds of Rosa moyesii. Does anybody have any tips
on germination?

Folllowing is a link to Heny Kuska's Web Page. Henry has several
articles listed that deal with rose seeds and germination
procedures:
http://home.neo.rr.com/kuska/

Regards,

Charles

--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **

Ornata 19-05-2005 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Perry
Ornata wrote:

Hi. I've bought some seeds of Rosa moyesii. Does anybody have any tips
on germination?

Folllowing is a link to Heny Kuska's Web Page. Henry has several
articles listed that deal with rose seeds and germination
procedures:
http://home.neo.rr.com/kuska/

Regards,

Charles

Update: they've started germinating! I gave them 3 weeks in a basic heated propagator followed by a couple of months in the fridge, then moved the tray to my unheated greenhouse. I'm delighted - just hope I manage to keep the seedlings alive and growing.

Charles Perry 19-05-2005 09:31 PM

Ornata wrote:

Update: they've started germinating!

Congratulations! It has been more than 30 years since I planted
rose seeds, but I still remember how thrilled I was when they
sprouted.

Good luck with your rose children.

Regards,

Charles