Old 26-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Cindy

Default Pruning climbers?

I have a 'Spice so Nice' and 2 Joseph's coats that I was wondering if and
when they should be pruned.
I know with 'normal' roses they should be pruned back late winter early
spring but I am not sure about the climbers. The Spice so nice has long 6-8
foot canes that still have the leaves ( survived the winter here with them)
and shows new growth now. The Josephs coats are devoid of any leaves or
growth at this time.
I am in zone 6-7.

Thanks

Cindy

Old 26-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Gail Futoran

"Cindy" wrote in message
news
I have a 'Spice so Nice' and 2 Joseph's coats that I was wondering if and
when they should be pruned.
I know with 'normal' roses they should be pruned back late winter early
spring but I am not sure about the climbers. The Spice so nice has long
6-8 foot canes that still have the leaves ( survived the winter here with
them) and shows new growth now. The Josephs coats are devoid of any leaves
or growth at this time.
I am in zone 6-7.

Thanks

Cindy

I'm in Zone 8. I tend not to prune climbers until later in
spring (whenever that comes into your area), and then
mostly just for shaping/moving canes from the mowing
path. Bottom line: I think it's probably better to wait.

We've had an early spring (not unusual for here) and
many of my roses are already blooming. I still
haven't pruned them (due to other domestic
"crises" g) and I'm not worried about it. Pruning
shrub roses while dormant is good because it (1)
encourages growth (something I don't need for most
of my roses), and (2) lets you see what you're doing.
I'll grin and bear the second, and mostly just cut out
dead canes.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 27-02-2005, 10:59 PM
ed

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
"Cindy" wrote in message
news
[...]

In addition to the above, another reason to be careful when pruning
climbers, they bloom off of "old" wood. Prune only what is needed for the
health of the plant, and be patient.

ed

pruning climbers H Ryder United Kingdom 2 05-09-2005 11:13 AM
climbers heidi Roses 3 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
Climbers Jeanne Stockdale United Kingdom 2 10-03-2003 09:33 PM
Red & White Climbers climbing iceberg Radika Kesavan Roses 1 27-01-2003 10:09 AM
child friendly climbers ellio United Kingdom 8 22-11-2002 06:11 PM