Old 26-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Gordon Couger

Default Rapeseed oil in Spain?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Webster"
Newsgroups: sci.agriculture
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 4:44 PM
Subject: Rapeseed oil in Spain?

:
: Gordon Couger wrote in message
: om...
: Is rape oil available as a cooking oil in the UK? With so may other
: oils being better cooking oils and oil price being so cheap I would
: think it would have a difficult time to find a place in the market. If
: cost is a concern there is always lard. It is a great cooking oil if
: it didn't go rancid so quickly and all the negative health hype it
: would have a much better market.
:
:
: A lot of northern fish&chip shops always used to boast that they used
: nothing but "the finest beef dripping".

I don't know why tallow is not a commercial product here. The price is the
same as for lard. http://www.urnerbarry.com/pdf_files/ci0414.pdf

The interstinging one is uteri 14.00 higher in the usda report
http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/NW_LS850.TXT
These are hard to understand unless you are in the market and understand the
pricing from looking at other reports that is the change in price and could
be by the pound or hundred. The price does seem volatile with moves as much
as 22 dollars. In other report they are listed with brains which when
available retail are around a dollar a pound or less. They are not good
sellers since BSE came along.

Gordon

Old 26-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Jim Webster

[...]

I think tallow is being used to burn the rest of the carcass, certainly
the market for that sort of product is in a right mess and god alone
knows when things will be sorted out. Apparently there are still
warehouse full of rendered cow waiting for disposal as the government
wouldn't give long enough contracts for people to set up incinerators. I
was talking to one chap who was thinking of it and he would have to
borrow about £12 million on the strength of a six month contract during
which he would just about get the business running properly. His bank
manager pointed out that if he signed up to the scheme the bank would
feel obliged to have him committeed to an asylum for the good of his
family.

--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'

Old 26-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Gordon Couger

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

[...]

We don't burn the rest of the caucus. We use every thing but the squeal. If
the Euro continues on it program of ultra expensive regulations, High
welfare and farm subsidies, high tariffs or other restraints of trade, low
productivity, and bring all the EU down to the same standard Euros will like
German marks after WW I. You can't forever spend money you don't have. The
international community will only honor the value of you currency to a point
and then they dump it like a hot rock.

Some morning the Euro will start to fall and go into free fall just like the
US stockmarket. Only currency losses are real and the go into effect the day
the they happen.

Gordon

Old 26-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Oz

Jim Webster writes

there are people who wonder what will happen. In the UK we can no longer
run our own call centres, they are being outsourced to India and similar
places.

Yes. I am afraid they are rather good, too.

At some point we are going to have to come up with a convincing
reason why people should give us money

I'm still thinking about that one. Must be some sort of good reason.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.

Old 26-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Jim Webster

Oz wrote in message
Jim Webster writes

there are people who wonder what will happen. In the UK we can no

longer
run our own call centres, they are being outsourced to India and

similar
places.

Yes. I am afraid they are rather good, too.

At some point we are going to have to come up with a convincing
reason why people should give us money

I'm still thinking about that one. Must be some sort of good reason.

I'm afraid that the old argument of "pay up or we will send a gun boat"
no longer holds water either