Old 26-04-2003, 12:25 PM
Oz

Default Co-operative buyers

Gordon Couger writes

Your problem is simple put in a big freezer and deliver as they can use it.
If that is against the government rules buy a freezer a sell it to a
cooperative of you customers for one pound a share or some such.

Now that's an interesting suggestion.

X-posts reset, subject change.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.

Old 26-04-2003, 12:25 PM
Jim Webster

Oz wrote in message
Gordon Couger writes

Your problem is simple put in a big freezer and deliver as they can

use it.
If that is against the government rules buy a freezer a sell it to a
cooperative of you customers for one pound a share or some such.

Now that's an interesting suggestion.

X-posts reset, subject change.

yes, it bides thinking about, store the beef for them.
They would have to buy it up front really. The problem would come with
delivery/collection. I tend to drive a maximum of about 30 miles to
dispose of all a bullock, and that is on a bad day, normally I will do
about six milees. If we have people coming for a couple of pounds or
worse still expecting me to deliver it, you are talking about using a
couple of pounds worth of fuel for a couple of pounds worth of meat.
I would prefer to encourage them to put a freezer in of their own, but
with small houses this can be a bit daunting for people.

--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'

Old 26-04-2003, 12:25 PM
Oz

Jim Webster writes

yes, it bides thinking about, store the beef for them.
They would have to buy it up front really. The problem would come with
delivery/collection. I tend to drive a maximum of about 30 miles to
dispose of all a bullock, and that is on a bad day, normally I will do
about six milees. If we have people coming for a couple of pounds or
worse still expecting me to deliver it, you are talking about using a
couple of pounds worth of fuel for a couple of pounds worth of meat.
I would prefer to encourage them to put a freezer in of their own, but
with small houses this can be a bit daunting for people.

It's a co-op.

They pay in 5/week to co-own a bullock and get X lbs of meat a month.

Old 26-04-2003, 12:25 PM
Jim Webster

Oz wrote in message
Jim Webster writes

yes, it bides thinking about, store the beef for them.
They would have to buy it up front really. The problem would come

with
delivery/collection. I tend to drive a maximum of about 30 miles to
dispose of all a bullock, and that is on a bad day, normally I will

do
about six milees. If we have people coming for a couple of pounds or
worse still expecting me to deliver it, you are talking about using a
couple of pounds worth of fuel for a couple of pounds worth of meat.
I would prefer to encourage them to put a freezer in of their own,

but
with small houses this can be a bit daunting for people.

It's a co-op.

They pay in 5/week to co-own a bullock and get X lbs of meat a month.

I cannot see them wanting the hassle. I have had people buy one from me
for co-operative butching and have sworn never again because everyone
wants that bit and no one wants that bit and someone takes a huff and
walks out which means they have to split it 7 ways not eight and george
doesn't like stewing beef, Anne will not have brisket under any
circumstances and it is probably lucky that the butcher cut it up as no
one is standing there with a sharp knife. .
One advantage of my system is they only ever see their box. The butcher
fills the boxes so even I just assume they are all equal.
My worry is that they would all want their steak and roasts and then I
am left with their stewing beef and mince and them whinging that they
were sure that had some more roast left.
Put the meat in their freezer and they can do what they damned well like
with it.

Old 26-04-2003, 12:25 PM
Oz

David P writes

How much of the £5 is for the delivery charge?

Nothing, I guess. FOB freezer.

Delivery extra ...

Old 26-04-2003, 12:25 PM
David P

In article ,
says...
David P writes

How much of the £5 is for the delivery charge?

Nothing, I guess. FOB freezer.

Delivery extra ...

Damn - I'll just have to keep making the journey then.
--
David
Visit
Old 26-04-2003, 12:25 PM
Jim Webster

Gordon Couger wrote in message
Farmer's co-ops over here have problems exactly like you describe only

they
are playing with millions of dollars. Killings are rare but not

unheard of.

You sure have it tough driving 30 miles. It used to take me 115 to

check all
the places I farmed of my own or 250 to see after everything I did

from
myself an others doing custom plowing and harvesting. I bought a

little
Subaru pickup to save gas.

I suspect the fuel cost over 30 miles is probably dearer :-((

I collect calves from a chap 40 miles away, it will take an hour and a
half to drive there and the same to drive back and that is without
traffic. To give you an idea of the roads round here, I used to have to
travel 34 miles to see Brenda before we were married at it took over an
hour. And that isn't the traffic, that is the road.

--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'

Gordon

Old 26-04-2003, 12:25 PM
Jim Webster

Gordon Couger wrote in message
Jim,

My traffic wasn't so bad. I have seen combines with 20 foot headers on

come
down the main street of town. You can get a combine almost anywhere in

the
county with a 20 foot header on it with out taking it off you are just

not
supposed to move at night.

went to collect two friesian stirks from a lass, not last saturday but
saturday before. Went on the JD 3130 because there was no way I was
going to haul a two cow trailer round them roads in the car. At one
point the road went between two houses. The gap between the two houses
was no more than eight feet. This is followed by a right angled bend.
There is a way there without passing between these two houses but that
is also narrow and twisting. They were shot out with fmd last year and
the army had to find short wheelbase lorries to carry stuff out.
When you get to the farm yard (in which there isn't room to turn a
lorry) the road runs out onto the fell, the buildings don't have
foundations, they are just set on bedrock.

There is one local haulier who will deliver to them.