Old 26-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Marcus Williamson

Default UK Supermarkets maintain strict GM-free policy for 2003

UK Supermarkets maintain strict GM-free policy for 2003

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - News from gmfoodnews.com

gmfoodnews.com has completed its annual survey of UK supermarkets for
their position on genetically modified (GM) food and ingredients for
2003.

The results show that opposition to GM foods is as strong as it was in
1999, when supermarkets removed GM foods and ingredients from their
shelves. Just as in 1999, no UK supermarket includes GM food or
ingredients in their own-brand products. Increasingly, supermarkets
are also specifying GM-free feed for animals producing their meat,
milk and eggs.

Supermarkets maintain this position because of the continued rejection
by consumers of GM foods. Consumers believe that GM foods are unsafe,
untested and may cause environmental damage.

When asked specifically about GM cottonseed oil, which has recently
been approved by the UK ACNFP [1, 2], supermarkets stated that they
will not be allowing this ingredient in their products.

For more information about the issues with GM crops and GM food, see
http://www.gmfoodnews.com/gmwrong.html

The views of each of the supermarkets can be seen in the summary
below:

Co-op

"No Co-op Brand products will be made using any genetically modified
ingredient."

http://www.co-op.co.uk/ext_1/Develop...gh light=2,gm
Iceland

"As pioneers in the food retail industry Iceland were the world's
first to ban GM ingredients in our own label range in May 1998."

http://www.iceland.co.uk/ext_11/web/market.nsf/(websearch)/wugm?OpenDocument
Marks and Spencer

"All Marks and Spencer food products are made without Genetically
Modified ingredients or derivatives, and an increasing range of the
animals we use in food production are fed on non-GM diets."

http://www2.marksandspencer.com/thec...gm/intro.shtml
Safeway

"We listen carefully to our customers' comments and concerns and we
have removed GM soya and maize ingredients from our own brand
products. This was achieved in 1999."

http://www.safeway.co.uk/cgi-bin/sea...howitem=000001
Sainsbury's

ingredients from all our own brand food, pet food and dietary
supplements."

http://www.sainsbury.co.uk/gm/

Tesco

"Tesco has removed GM ingredients from all own brand products and had
increased non-GM options by launching an extensive Organic range."

http://www.tesco.com/everyLittleHelp...etail.htm#tagm

Waitrose

"No Waitrose own label product produced since the end of March 1999
contains GM ingredients as defined by law..."

"...With effect from the end of September 1999, all the soya and maize
used in the production of the oils and additives for Waitrose products
came from "traditional" crops."

http://www.waitrose.com/about/policy.../safety_gm.asp
Notes for Editors

1. Advisory Committee on Novel Foods and Processes (ACNFP)
http://www.foodstandards.gov.uk/scie...ors/novelfood/

2. GM cottonseed oil was approved by the EU, via the UK ACNFP, in
December 2002, without testing of safety for humans, animals and the
environment.

3. A web version of this article, with hyperlinks, can be found he
http://www.gmfoodnews.com/gm060103.html

Contact

Marcus Williamson
Editor, Genetically Modified Food-News