Old 26-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default tomatoes; ConcreteBlock Farming

Next year I will research corn and soybeans via ConcreteBlock. This year
I have
only tomatoes and watermelon and squash. Sort of bad because they roam
the
ground whereas corn and soybeans are more suitable for concreteblock as
upright.

I have these 5 varieties going:

1) Amish Paste-- oval red tomatoes
2) Jaune Flammee-- clusters of small orange-yellow fruits
3) Nebraska Wedding--deep orange fruits
4) Indian Strain--husk tomato
5) Tomatillo-- husk tomato round green fruit

And so far they are doing great. A few have become taller than the
hole of the concreteblock. Almost all of the tomatoes inside the blocks
have
survived. About 50-60 percent of the ones planted without blocks died.
The
shock of moving from indoors to outdoors was too much and also birds
prying out the peatmoss pots looking for worms.

Another great feature is that the block are great for watering in that
the water
stays confined inside the block.

And it appears that spiders like the atmosphere of the block holes and
so
many spiders are living inside the hole of the cropplant. One of the
problems
with wood mulches is that they attract ants and ants are usually
destructive
of cropplants. But the concrete block have such little surface area for
ants to
lodge that ants are never a problem.

And snakes like the warmth of the shiny surface of concrete block and
they
eat alot of insects.

Rabbits also like to rest along the south side of block. They are no
problem for
tomatoes for they seem to not like the taste. But they are a problem for
other
crops. I use concrete block as markers for small trees. Not that I have
the trunk
in a hole but a block resting along the northside of each young tree and
this
is where rabbits maybe a problem in that they rest along the block and
eat the
top layer of the young tree. Just yesterday I had a rabbit reduce my
Pepi Pear
tree in half. But I do not think block increase rabbit damage to trees
or crop
plants. On balance I think block increase the frequency of insect
predators
living inside the block and better control of the insects.

One thing I will have to observe is whether the edges of the block cause

wind damage to the stems of tomatoes and other crops. Whether the wind
swaying the stem across the edge of the block acts like a saw and
damages
the plant. I suspect not but will have to wait and see.

One thing is certain that the block provide more sunlight to the
cropplant due
to the high reflection of its whitish surface.

Archimedes Plutonium,
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Old 26-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Mr. Meval

In message ; Archimedes Plutonium wrote:

Next year I will research corn and soybeans via ConcreteBlock. This year
I have only tomatoes and watermelon and squash. Sort of bad because they
roam the

Chicken wire for the tomatos or a wooden lattice. As to the roaming plants
you are farming, go out an poke them in place they don't run real fast.

ground whereas corn and soybeans are more suitable for concreteblock as
upright.

What kind of corn? If you've seen the root system of corn it's huge and will
do terrible if confined. Widespread farming has made corn and soybeans
prime targets of opportunity for pests, you may need to find solutions to
this.

AND PLANT SOME GREEN BEANS! It's not a real garden without GREEN BEANS! And
not that wimpy stuff, real string beans with the string from HELL you have
to remove to cook. And NO steaming period, cook them till the actual beans
in the pod are tender. G

Confined gardens also benefit from onions, garlic, peppers, spices of any
sort. It makes the limited variety a bit more tasty.

I have these 5 varieties going:

1) Amish Paste-- oval red tomatoes
2) Jaune Flammee-- clusters of small orange-yellow fruits
3) Nebraska Wedding--deep orange fruits
4) Indian Strain--husk tomato
5) Tomatillo-- husk tomato round green fruit

What!? No cherry tomatos! You fiend! Also you need some Beefy girls in
there. If these are heirloom there should be substitues for cherry tomatos
and the "Beefy girl" branded one. Tomatillo's almost make up for the lack
of the standard garden varieties, add in some peppers and you'll be
forgiven the oversite.

And so far they are doing great. A few have become taller than the
hole of the concreteblock. Almost all of the tomatoes inside the blocks
have survived. About 50-60 percent of the ones planted without blocks
died. The
shock of moving from indoors to outdoors was too much and also birds
prying out the peatmoss pots looking for worms.

Birds will also damage the plants later on as well, they are not always
looking for worms some eat the seeds and seedlings. Crows will wait till
you are done planting and dig up the seeds. On the other side of it birds
will eat snails and slugs. Mainly we had to worry about crows, other birds
were ok, except starlings.

A good cat that gets liberally rewarded for leaving a pile of bird carcasses
on the porch is a must. It will bring a smile when precious plush tail
brings a kill to her master for her reward. I don't know, it's a cat thing,
it makes me smile. Mostly cats were around to keep mice and starlings in
check.

Aluminum pie pans tied to a string tied to a stick.

A scare crow, have him holding a long stick, even better is to make it
rattle oddly in the wind. If there is no wind, get creative in making him
move. Water at one time has been used and it can benefit the plants. ;-)

Another great feature is that the block are great for watering in that
the water stays confined inside the block.

Watch for rot.

And it appears that spiders like the atmosphere of the block holes and
so
many spiders are living inside the hole of the cropplant. One of the
problems
with wood mulches is that they attract ants and ants are usually
destructive
of cropplants. But the concrete block have such little surface area for
ants to
lodge that ants are never a problem.

Sounds good, lady bugs are a must, praying mantis also help. Having spiders
around also keep mosquitos at bay.

And snakes like the warmth of the shiny surface of concrete block and
they eat alot of insects.

Isn't mother nature all about cold and slimey squishy things being
beneficial as well as repugnant?

Rabbits also like to rest along the south side of block. They are no
problem for

Rabbits are quite edible and are a farmers bonus. If nothing else they
compost well. If you don't wish to harm the little pests rig up an electric
fence. It won't kill them, just knock their little furry bodies right away.
The cat will learn not to mess with the fence. Rig it at normal height then
at less than rabbit width rig a piece of wire looped over the main one down
to where it will be difficult for the pest to pass freely. Time consuming
but that little shriek of terror is joy to someone who has had a crop
ruined and almost as good as eating them.

[...]

This may not be a good thing, it's been a long time since I had to fool with
this stuff but some plants don't do well if light hits the bottom of the
leaf.

And one last thing, how are you storing the results? A small number of
plants will generate a huge return. In one 10x10 foot square I've raised
enough produce to be a problem. If you have a large freezer this can help
but is not long term. Canning is very long term and you can enjoy these a
very long time. I've eaten tomatos and green beans over four years old.
Corn does not can well but if picked, cooked, sliced from cob and frozen
they last a long time almost as sweet as when picked.

If you raise corn for flour then drying them is needed, this can be done by
nature right on the stalk but they need to be collected when dried enough.
Peppers can be pierced with a needle and thread run through them and just
hung up to dry, same for wax beans.

Archimedes Plutonium,
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

No the universe is just one atom being in many places at once. Some call it
god but that's just silly.

--
Some help:
http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_Repair.html

Old 26-05-2003, 03:09 PM
Oz

Mr. Meval writes
AND PLANT SOME GREEN BEANS! It's not a real garden without GREEN BEANS! And
not that wimpy stuff, real string beans with the string from HELL you have
to remove to cook.

Ugh!

Even better try climbing french bean.
Sequential cropping and very productive indeed.
Not bothered by slugs.
Easy to pick, no bending over.

Also looks pretty.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.

Old 26-05-2003, 07:58 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

"Mr. Meval" wrote:

In message ; Archimedes Plutonium wrote:

Next year I will research corn and soybeans via ConcreteBlock. This year
I have only tomatoes and watermelon and squash. Sort of bad because they
roam the

Chicken wire for the tomatos or a wooden lattice. As to the roaming plants
you are farming, go out an poke them in place they don't run real fast.

My lifetime does not allow time for staking tomatoes. I have every hour
accounted for and there is no room to stake tomatoes. We all set priorities
in life and staking tomatoes just is never a priority for me.

ground whereas corn and soybeans are more suitable for concreteblock as
upright.

What kind of corn? If you've seen the root system of corn it's huge and will
do terrible if confined. Widespread farming has made corn and soybeans
prime targets of opportunity for pests, you may need to find solutions to
this.

I think corn would fit nicely in one hole of a 16X8X8 concrete block. Next
year will experiment with corn and soybeans inside concrete block.

Perhaps I should try potatoes inside the holes of concrete block. Set a row
of block all touching and set it straight and then plant a potato eye in each
hole and all summer long mow down the edge of the row of concrete block.
And then deposit the grass clippings along that row. But I think potatoes
would start to shoot out from their confined hole. I may have to get bigger
block for potatoes. I have my asparagus inside the holes of concrete block
and sometimes if they annoy me enough I will stake them for the mower
sake.