Old 30-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Default eliminate fertilizer and herbicide steps in farming

Its about time somebody put you in a plastic bubble and sent you off to
outer space where you belong, Archie.

Archimedes Plutonium wrote in message

Dean Hoffman wrote:
(snipped)

Think legumes inter-planted with the other crop. I don't think you'd
gain anything by letting weeds grow. That's just recycling nutrients at
best.
Ridge till and no till farming helps hold moisture and soil in place.
That's about the same as letting grass or weed clippings protect the

soil.
Early tractor drawn equipment was just horse drawn stuff with a

different
hitch. Old time farmers cultivated the weeds to kill them.

Interesting! Perhaps we should be selective and start not with a field of
grasses and weeds but with legumes that nitrogen fix bacteria in the soil.
And that when we mow we can sell the mowed clippings as feed and later
sell the corn crop or soybean crop.

But Dean, I am wondering about a Economic Crossover.

(1) The cost per acre of present day farming of corn with tractor and
heavy equipment and herbicides and fertilizer etc etc

(2) The cost per acre of a given field to mow it several times per summer
to keep the weeds, grasses, alfalfa or whatever below the level of the
crop.

The question is Dean whether mowing is cheaper than present day farming.
And the question also arises whether a field of alfalfa, rather than

eliminate it
save it and plant rows of a corn or soybean crop and to constantly mow
between the rows. Where never any fertilizer is applied and never any

tillage
of the soil.

I mow my lawn about 9 times per year and it is about 1 acre. Each mowing
costs me in about 75 cents of gasoline or 1/2 gallon. So, if I had my lawn
turned into alfalfa and then planted rows of corn, my yearly cost to grow
Organic corn would be about ten dollars. I am guessing that the special
corn seed that is herbicide resistant applied to an acre in the

petrolbased
farming alone costs more than ten dollars. So, not counting the mower
versus the tractor and I can get a excellent Honda mower that lasts for
20 years for $300. but a tractor is what $100,000.

Dean, I would guess that if the entire Farming industry were to alter

their
habits of using fields where they use the weeds and grasses growing

between
their croprows. Use them as fertilizer when mowing that they eliminate
two expenses. They eliminate the need to fertilize and they eliminate the
need to apply herbicides.

And as their farm builds up wealth, these farmers can begin to buy
concreteblock and set them in rows on their farms to control their farm
even more.

Archimedes Plutonium,
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies