Old 01-09-2005, 02:09 PM
Andyd

Default Questions on liriope, spider lilies

I have several questions that I figure I'll jam into a single post.

1. Liriope- I left the gate open and the deer got into my garden and
hammered several of my liriope last year. I cut them back to the
ground, and they have regrown, but the new growth is simply the old
leaves growing up, so all of the leaves look like they were cut or
eaten (ie. ragged ends with brown fringing). How do I get liriope to
start new growth rather than just push up the leaves I cut back to the
ground?

2. Giant Tropical Spider Lilies- I have several bunches of these, very
pretty dark green leaves and white flowers in July. They freeze back
and I have to whack them to the ground in Dec-Jan. However I found
that they all died back a few weeks ago and I had to cut them back to
the ground. What might have caused all of these plants to die back
all at once in the middle of the summer? I just cut them back a few
days ago, I haven't had a chance to see if they are still alive, but
there were some new leaves starting as I cut back the mostly dead
stuff.

I had a third question on a different plant, but can't think of what
it was right now. I'll post that later.

Thanks.

andyd