GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   picking a small tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/10509-picking-small-tree.html)

James 15-03-2003 04:32 PM

picking a small tree

I need some help picking a tree that will hide a 4 foot chain
link fence (about 30 feet in lenght). I was thinking crate
mertyls...but being from the north I thought I'd ask for suggestions.
Something economical would be great. TIA for any help I receive.

please remove the ~

James

Diana Sledge 15-03-2003 04:45 PM

picking a small tree

It's not really a tree, but nandina grows with abandon in my yard and
has green all year. Crepe myrtle will only hide the fence part of the
year.

Diana

Terry Horton 15-03-2003 09:44 PM

picking a small tree

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 10:25:56 -0600, James wrote:

I need some help picking a tree that will hide a 4 foot chain
link fence (about 30 feet in lenght). I was thinking crate
mertyls...but being from the north I thought I'd ask for suggestions.
Something economical would be great. TIA for any help I receive.

Check out Texas mountain laurel. Some swaths of native pavonia,
acanthus, lantana, and skullcap, and a grouping of possumhaw out in
front, would add year-round color to your screen.

Terry Horton 15-03-2003 09:44 PM

picking a small tree

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 16:38:29 GMT, Diana Sledge
wrote:

It's not really a tree, but nandina grows with abandon in my yard and
has green all year.

If you have any luck eradicating it, please let me know. :-)

animaux 15-03-2003 10:56 PM

picking a small tree

Nandina domestica is an exotic invasive plant and should not be used. Some of the
more manageable nandina's are better, but are not tall enough. Wax myrtle is a good
evergreen shrub, so is evergreen sumac. Another shrub to look for is one of the many
varieties of viburnum. V.tinus 'Spring Bouquet' is a nice evergreen shrub which
grows rapidly and blooms in spring. Also V.burkwoodii and V. davidii are good
selections. If you can find rusty blackhaw viburnum, it is a native. Some of the
yaupon hollies are evergreen and wonderful.

Babberney 15-03-2003 11:08 PM

picking a small tree

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 10:25:56 -0600, James wrote:

I need some help picking a tree that will hide a 4 foot chain
link fence (about 30 feet in lenght). I was thinking crate
mertyls...but being from the north I thought I'd ask for suggestions.
Something economical would be great. TIA for any help I receive.

please remove the ~

James

www.treefolks.com has a list of trees that are suitable, with a chart
to compare size and other characteristics. Yaupon holly is one
year-round green shrub/tree that springs to mind. Wax myrtle is also
recomended, but I don't know if it drops its leaves over winter or
not.

Keith

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html

Steve Coyle 16-03-2003 11:56 PM

picking a small tree

Howdy folks,
In regards to this message:

James

www.treefolks.com has a list of trees that are suitable, with a chart
to compare size and other characteristics. Yaupon holly is one
year-round green shrub/tree that springs to mind. Wax myrtle is also
recomended, but I don't know if it drops its leaves over winter or
not.

My impression was that Treefolks was closing it's doors due to loss
of funding. ( I hope I'm wrong )
The city of Austin Grow Green program has a plant guide that is good
and lists small trees for Travis county. Check them out at:
www.growgreen.com

take care,
Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com