GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   best-tasting tomatoes? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/110752-best-tasting-tomatoes.html)

Cindy 20-01-2006 07:45 PM

best-tasting tomatoes?

Thought I'd start a new thread. ;) I'm tired of buying whatever tomato
starts I find at Home Depot -- want to start my own.

I like a very "tomatoey" flavor, rather than overly sweet. The "grape"
tomatoes, for instance, are too sweet for me. What do youall consider the
best-tasting tomatoes?

Cindy

Victor Martinez 20-01-2006 07:50 PM

best-tasting tomatoes?

Cindy wrote:
I like a very "tomatoey" flavor, rather than overly sweet. The "grape"
tomatoes, for instance, are too sweet for me. What do youall consider the
best-tasting tomatoes?

Jeff Davis, hands down.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

OmManiPadmeOmelet 20-01-2006 08:34 PM

best-tasting tomatoes?

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

Thought I'd start a new thread. ;) I'm tired of buying whatever tomato
starts I find at Home Depot -- want to start my own.

I like a very "tomatoey" flavor, rather than overly sweet. The "grape"
tomatoes, for instance, are too sweet for me. What do youall consider the
best-tasting tomatoes?

Cindy

IMHO beefsteaks or romas.....

Very mild, and meaty.
--
Om.

David Wright 20-01-2006 09:06 PM

best-tasting tomatoes?

"Cindy" wrote in message
om...
Thought I'd start a new thread. ;) I'm tired of buying whatever tomato
starts I find at Home Depot -- want to start my own.

I like a very "tomatoey" flavor, rather than overly sweet. The "grape"
tomatoes, for instance, are too sweet for me. What do youall consider
the best-tasting tomatoes?

Cindy

I'll put in a vote for Brandywine.

David

Jangchub 20-01-2006 09:34 PM

best-tasting tomatoes?

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 19:45:22 GMT, "Cindy" wrote:

Thought I'd start a new thread. ;) I'm tired of buying whatever tomato
starts I find at Home Depot -- want to start my own.

I like a very "tomatoey" flavor, rather than overly sweet. The "grape"
tomatoes, for instance, are too sweet for me. What do youall consider the
best-tasting tomatoes?

Cindy

Most of the heirlooms are what you'd be looking for. My personal
favorite is Brandywine, but they are not an easy tomato to grow down
here in Austin. They are potato leaf tomatoes and are very
tempermental where night temperatures are concerned. Anything over 70
at night and fruit will not fully develop, and potentially won't even
set.

Jim Marrs 21-01-2006 12:08 AM

best-tasting tomatoes?

In the Roma category, we think the Viva Italia is tops in both taste and
disease resistance.

JEM
om...

Cindy 26-01-2006 05:18 PM

best-tasting tomatoes?

Thanks everyone for your help. :)

Cindy

Gae Xavier 26-02-2006 10:35 PM

best-tasting tomatoes?

Cannot get Brandywine to set here -- too hot.

I really like the complex flavors of a more heat tolerate variety like
"Costoluto Genovese". Yum... sweet with tart and real great tomato
flavor. Best tomato juice too.

I also like the ruffled scalloped slices on the plate from the pumpkin
shape.

A&M uses it as a breeder for hot weather tolerant tomato hybrids like
"Merced".

Will be trying "Purple Calabash" and "Ananas Noire" (purple, green,
orange and yellow) with complex flavors also this year.

Bon Appetite,

Gae Xavier, Realtor
Stanberry & Associates

Gae Xavier 26-02-2006 10:38 PM

Last Freeze?

Is the coast clear? Have we had our last freeze yet? I know we can prune
roses after Valentines Day.

Jangchub 28-02-2006 04:00 AM

Last Freeze?

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 16:38:33 -0600, Gae Xavier wrote:

Is the coast clear? Have we had our last freeze yet? I know we can prune
roses after Valentines Day.

No, last frost date it no earlier than March 15.