Old 20-01-2006, 07:45 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Default best-tasting tomatoes?

Thought I'd start a new thread. I'm tired of buying whatever tomato
starts I find at Home Depot -- want to start my own.

I like a very "tomatoey" flavor, rather than overly sweet. The "grape"
tomatoes, for instance, are too sweet for me. What do youall consider the
best-tasting tomatoes?

Cindy

Old 20-01-2006, 07:50 PM posted to austin.gardening
Victor Martinez

Cindy wrote:
I like a very "tomatoey" flavor, rather than overly sweet. The "grape"
tomatoes, for instance, are too sweet for me. What do youall consider the
best-tasting tomatoes?

Jeff Davis, hands down.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 20-01-2006, 08:34 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

Thought I'd start a new thread. I'm tired of buying whatever tomato
starts I find at Home Depot -- want to start my own.

I like a very "tomatoey" flavor, rather than overly sweet. The "grape"
tomatoes, for instance, are too sweet for me. What do youall consider the
best-tasting tomatoes?

Cindy

IMHO beefsteaks or romas.....

Very mild, and meaty.
--
Om.

Old 20-01-2006, 09:06 PM posted to austin.gardening
David Wright

"Cindy" wrote in message
om...
Thought I'd start a new thread. I'm tired of buying whatever tomato
starts I find at Home Depot -- want to start my own.

I like a very "tomatoey" flavor, rather than overly sweet. The "grape"
tomatoes, for instance, are too sweet for me. What do youall consider
the best-tasting tomatoes?

Cindy

I'll put in a vote for Brandywine.

David

Old 20-01-2006, 09:34 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 19:45:22 GMT, "Cindy" wrote:

Thought I'd start a new thread. I'm tired of buying whatever tomato
starts I find at Home Depot -- want to start my own.

I like a very "tomatoey" flavor, rather than overly sweet. The "grape"
tomatoes, for instance, are too sweet for me. What do youall consider the
best-tasting tomatoes?

Cindy

Most of the heirlooms are what you'd be looking for. My personal
favorite is Brandywine, but they are not an easy tomato to grow down
here in Austin. They are potato leaf tomatoes and are very
tempermental where night temperatures are concerned. Anything over 70
at night and fruit will not fully develop, and potentially won't even
set.

Old 21-01-2006, 12:08 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jim Marrs

In the Roma category, we think the Viva Italia is tops in both taste and
disease resistance.

JEM
om...

Old 26-01-2006, 05:18 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Thanks everyone for your help.

Cindy

Old 26-02-2006, 10:35 PM posted to austin.gardening
Gae Xavier

Cannot get Brandywine to set here -- too hot.

I really like the complex flavors of a more heat tolerate variety like
"Costoluto Genovese". Yum... sweet with tart and real great tomato
flavor. Best tomato juice too.

I also like the ruffled scalloped slices on the plate from the pumpkin
shape.

A&M uses it as a breeder for hot weather tolerant tomato hybrids like
"Merced".

Will be trying "Purple Calabash" and "Ananas Noire" (purple, green,
orange and yellow) with complex flavors also this year.

Bon Appetite,

Gae Xavier, Realtor
Stanberry & Associates

Old 26-02-2006, 10:38 PM posted to austin.gardening
Gae Xavier

Default Last Freeze?

Is the coast clear? Have we had our last freeze yet? I know we can prune
roses after Valentines Day.

Old 28-02-2006, 04:00 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 16:38:33 -0600, Gae Xavier wrote:

Is the coast clear? Have we had our last freeze yet? I know we can prune
roses after Valentines Day.

No, last frost date it no earlier than March 15.

Best Tasting Tomatos Ed Gardening 6 07-01-2007 06:01 PM
elmo, still tasting, kicks almost wastefully, as the case joins before their sauce [email protected] United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 12:21 PM
try tasting the summer's light orange and Zebediah will open you [email protected] United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 12:09 PM
try tasting the office's solid unit and Will will creep you Greasy Weird Sissy United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 10:49 AM
Looking for hardy or bad tasting plants Ross Vandegrift Freshwater Aquaria Plants 9 16-04-2003 05:20 PM