GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lady Bird Spring Plant Sale (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/13012-lady-bird-spring-plant-sale.html)

Terry Horton 04-04-2003 11:20 PM

Lady Bird Spring Plant Sale

Fresh, well-cared for plants, many hard to species. Native American
Seeds has a huge booth set up. Native plant society had some
offerings. Just can't recommend this event too highly. Great plants,
beautiful setting, friendly people, good cause...

I tried to take it easy this year. :-) Took home some very nice
Mexican plums in one gallon and a beautifully shaped 5-gal Sophora
affinis. From the Native Plant Society, a vigorous little possumhaw.
The SO went for an armload of native columbines and a selection of
spiderworts destined for the shady bed in front of the house.

Victor M. Martinez 04-04-2003 11:32 PM

Lady Bird Spring Plant Sale

Also this weekend is the cactus sale at Zilker! I've been charged with
finding two elusive forms of agave.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Rusty Mase 05-04-2003 01:56 PM

Lady Bird Spring Plant Sale

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 22:23:25 +0000 (UTC), (Victor
M. Martinez) wrote:

Also this weekend is the cactus sale at Zilker! I've been charged with
finding two elusive forms of agave.

Hmm. Why would they sell lilies at a cactus sale?

Rusty Mase

Victor M. Martinez 05-04-2003 02:56 PM

Lady Bird Spring Plant Sale

Hey, I didn't name the event. http://www.main.org/cacti/nextshow.html

Babberney 05-04-2003 08:20 PM

Lady Bird Spring Plant Sale

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 13:51:08 +0000 (UTC), (Victor
M. Martinez) wrote:

Rusty Mase wrote:
Hmm. Why would they sell lilies at a cactus sale?

Hey, I didn't name the event.
http://www.main.org/cacti/nextshow.html

plus, on the CTG show they listed it as "Cactus and Succulent"
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html

Carol Adams 11-04-2003 03:20 AM

Lady Bird Spring Plant Sale

Am I missing something? To the best of my knowledge, agave is a succulent.

M. Martinez) wrote:

Also this weekend is the cactus sale at Zilker! I've been charged with
finding two elusive forms of agave.

Hmm. Why would they sell lilies at a cactus sale?

Rusty Mase

News==----
Newsgroups

=---

Victor M. Martinez 11-04-2003 03:56 AM

Lady Bird Spring Plant Sale

Carol Adams wrote:
Am I missing something? To the best of my knowledge, agave is a succulent.

Actually, agaves are lillies.

Terry Horton 11-04-2003 02:56 PM

Lady Bird Spring Plant Sale

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 05:11:17 GMT, "Carol Adams"
wrote:

OK, but they are also succulents. I'd definitely expect to see agaves at a
cacti show.

It's like having palms at an "oak show" because they both grow tall.
:-) Cactus are anatomically and physiologically quite unique plants.
Like agave they're succulent, defended, New World desert flowering
plants. Other than that they're only very distantly related (even the
succulence and defense evolved in different plant parts)..

For an even more striking example of convergent evolution that you're
bound to see at the show, look at some of the euphorbias. They and
the columnar cactus independently evolved similar forms in two
different parts of the world. You could easily sneak them in as
cactus. :-)