Old 04-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Terry Horton

Default Lady Bird Spring Plant Sale

Fresh, well-cared for plants, many hard to species. Native American
Seeds has a huge booth set up. Native plant society had some
offerings. Just can't recommend this event too highly. Great plants,
beautiful setting, friendly people, good cause...

I tried to take it easy this year. :-) Took home some very nice
Mexican plums in one gallon and a beautifully shaped 5-gal Sophora
affinis. From the Native Plant Society, a vigorous little possumhaw.
The SO went for an armload of native columbines and a selection of
spiderworts destined for the shady bed in front of the house.

Old 04-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Also this weekend is the cactus sale at Zilker! I've been charged with
finding two elusive forms of agave.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 05-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Rusty Mase

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 22:23:25 +0000 (UTC), (Victor
M. Martinez) wrote:

Also this weekend is the cactus sale at Zilker! I've been charged with
finding two elusive forms of agave.

Hmm. Why would they sell lilies at a cactus sale?

Rusty Mase

Old 05-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Hey, I didn't name the event. http://www.main.org/cacti/nextshow.html

Old 05-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Babberney

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 13:51:08 +0000 (UTC), (Victor
M. Martinez) wrote:

Rusty Mase wrote:
Hmm. Why would they sell lilies at a cactus sale?

Hey, I didn't name the event.
http://www.main.org/cacti/nextshow.html

plus, on the CTG show they listed it as "Cactus and Succulent"
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html
Old 11-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Carol Adams

Am I missing something? To the best of my knowledge, agave is a succulent.

M. Martinez) wrote:

Also this weekend is the cactus sale at Zilker! I've been charged with
finding two elusive forms of agave.

Hmm. Why would they sell lilies at a cactus sale?

Rusty Mase

News==----
Newsgroups

=---

Old 11-04-2003, 03:56 AM
Victor M. Martinez

Carol Adams wrote:
Am I missing something? To the best of my knowledge, agave is a succulent.

Actually, agaves are lillies.

Old 11-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Terry Horton

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 05:11:17 GMT, "Carol Adams"
wrote:

OK, but they are also succulents. I'd definitely expect to see agaves at a
cacti show.

It's like having palms at an "oak show" because they both grow tall.
:-) Cactus are anatomically and physiologically quite unique plants.
Like agave they're succulent, defended, New World desert flowering
plants. Other than that they're only very distantly related (even the
succulence and defense evolved in different plant parts)..

For an even more striking example of convergent evolution that you're
bound to see at the show, look at some of the euphorbias. They and
the columnar cactus independently evolved similar forms in two
different parts of the world. You could easily sneak them in as
cactus. :-)