Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Karen Kay

Default Red yucca

I have been *wondering* what this is for a long time. I parked next
to one at the library, scored some seeds, and while I was in there,
looked it up.

Any hints about propagation, now that I have the seeds?
--
Karen
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
animaux

On Fri, 01 Nov 2002 00:40:59 GMT, Karen Kay wrote:

I have been *wondering* what this is for a long time. I parked next
to one at the library, scored some seeds, and while I was in there,
looked it up.

Any hints about propagation, now that I have the seeds?

Positively simple to germinate. Take a 4 or 6 inch pot, fill with a nice mix
which drains well and put the seeds on moist mix. Slightly cover the seeds with
about 1/4 inch of more mix. Water well and put into a plastic baggie or
ziplock. I grew literally dozens last year. I did them in a greenhouse, but a
good sunny south facing window will work. They have one large root, like a tap
root and they are very easy to separate and transplant. Mine are just now up to
a size where they can be planted in the ground. Just today I got more seeds
from my post office. They neglect the grounds, but that leaves me good
opportunity to snag some pods!

Victoria
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Karen Kay

animaux wrote in
:
Positively simple to germinate. Take a 4 or 6 inch pot, fill
with a nice mix which drains well and put the seeds on moist
mix. Slightly cover the seeds with about 1/4 inch of more mix.
Water well and put into a plastic baggie or ziplock. I grew
literally dozens last year. I did them in a greenhouse, but a
good sunny south facing window will work.

Thanks, I have a greenhouse window that should work.

Just today I got more seeds from my post
office. They neglect the grounds, but that leaves me good
opportunity to snag some pods!

LOL. I feel much less like a scavenger. Or at least, like the only
scavenger...

Speaking of more-or-less public landscaping, the HEB at Parmer and
IH-35 has nice xeriscaping. It's all new, but it'll be nice in a
few years, when it grows in.
--
Karen
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
J Kolenovsky

Hesperaloe parviflora. A native plant that does wonders for drawing
birds, butterflies and hummers.
Start several. You'll love them as they mature. Be very patient. They
aren't fast growers. But, they're worth it when they mature.

Karen Kay wrote:
=

I have been *wondering* what this is for a long time. I parked next
to one at the library, scored some seeds, and while I was in there,
looked it up.
=

Any hints about propagation, now that I have the seeds?
--
Karen

-- =

J Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/reference.html
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Leona Henderson

J Kolenovsky wrote:

Hesperaloe parviflora. A native plant that does wonders for drawing
birds, butterflies and hummers.
Start several. You'll love them as they mature. Be very patient. They
aren't fast growers. But, they're worth it when they mature.

--
J Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
τΏτ - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/reference.html

How big do they get? I had the white yucca but was unable to bring it with me when I moved. I loved
it. It had developed three trunks from a pup about 15 years ago. It was about 6 feet tall not
counting the bloom stalks and containable in a bed about 4 feet wide. I'd like some red if it is not
too large as don't have the space anymore.
--
nTX USDA Z 7B
Leona

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Karen Kay

Leona Henderson wrote in
:
How big do they get? I had the white yucca but was unable to
bring it with me when I moved. I loved it. It had developed
three trunks from a pup about 15 years ago. It was about 6 feet
tall not counting the bloom stalks and containable in a bed
about 4 feet wide. I'd like some red if it is not too large as
don't have the space anymore.

The ones I've seen for landscaping around here are generally 2-3 feet
wide, maybe a couple feet tall (with bloom stalks above my 5'0").
--
Karen
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
animaux

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 22:47:43 -0600, Leona Henderson wrote:

How big do they get? I had the white yucca but was unable to bring it with me when I moved. I loved
it. It had developed three trunks from a pup about 15 years ago. It was about 6 feet tall not
counting the bloom stalks and containable in a bed about 4 feet wide. I'd like some red if it is not
too large as don't have the space anymore.

They can, at maturity, get to about 4 feet tall with a 6 foot bloom spike, but
that takes several years. The ones I grew from seed last spring are about 6
inches tall. Their second year they'll grow some, but the third year they will
put on a lot of growth. You can always save seed and plant it again if you
move. It's not like the large yuccas with white flowers around town.
The leaves are very slender and long, rather than flat.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Karen Kay

animaux wrote in
:
You can always save seed and plant it again if you
move. It's not like the large yuccas with white flowers around
town. The leaves are very slender and long, rather than flat.

They are sometimes listed under 'grasses' in plant books, even though
they aren't one.
--
Karen
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
animaux

I can mail you one if you'd like.

On Fri, 01 Nov 2002 14:03:31 -0600, Leona Henderson wrote:

thanks KAren and Victoria..... will have to check out this area for them.

Karen Kay wrote:

animaux wrote in
:

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Leona Henderson

animaux wrote:

I can mail you one if you'd like.

Seed? That would be great! thanks! let me know amt. Do you still have my address?
Leona.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
animaux

On Sat, 02 Nov 2002 11:02:16 -0600, Leona Henderson wrote:

Seed? That would be great! thanks! let me know amt. Do you still have my address?
Leona.

I have a bunch of seed I can send. And no, I don't think I have the address.
At least if I do, the brain freeze is at work and I don't know where I'd put it.
OR, I can grow some for you in the greenhouse this winter and send you a plant.
Up to you. We have months to worry about it.

Victoria