Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Texensis

Default Wintering over [was Herbs? ]

"Gae Xavier" wrote in message
| I grow the basil in pots and bring it in on nights when a freeze is
| expected. You can have it and impatiens as a perennial if you do
that
| for the 4-5 nights a freeze is expected here normally.
|
| The dill will freeze and die. The most varieties of oregano (aka:
sweet
| marjoram) will survive a freeze as will lemon balm and spring back
in
| the spring. Cuban oregano (fleshy, fuzzy leaves) needs to be in a
pot
| and brought in.
|
| If I had some nice purple basil babies coming up, I would put them
in
| little pots and leave them in the sun and then bring them in when
| freezing temps are expected, and then put them back out. By next
spring
| you will have nice sized basil bushes in pots!
|
| I do this a lot and keep things going longer than can normally be
| expected sometimes for a couple of years until I forget one night to
get
| them all in before a freeze. Believe or not my Baby Arlesa French
| zucchini is making babies now and I have it growing in a pot. It
has
| not even contracted squash borers -- a miracle! So I will tote it in
and
| back out as well.

With oregano, you have to be careful about fungal problems. I'm
surprised to find right now that trailing nasturtium and trailing
orange specities-type (Mexican) zinnia in pots have rejuvenated
themselves now that the heat is done. The zinnias are blooming like
crazy and the nasturtiums are showing signs that they will. Maybe I'll
bring them indoors on the cold nights.

Spider mites, over and over and over Jonathan Sachs[_2_] Gardening 9 09-08-2007 04:37 AM
over-wintering floaters and little bugs J. LaQuiere Ponds 12 14-02-2004 07:17 AM
Over-wintering Aubergine plants? Colin Malsingh Edible Gardening 1 30-09-2003 08:02 PM
Wintering over shallow ponds NJ Ponds 3 31-08-2003 11:02 PM
wintering over potatoes Rob Dougan Gardening 4 18-08-2003 06:43 PM