GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Huge Sago Palm for the taking (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/13613-huge-sago-palm-taking.html)

David Peart 05-04-2003 11:10 AM

Huge Sago Palm for the taking

I have a huge sago palm in front of my house. However, whoever planted did
not think of what happens when that cute little plant grows up :) The trunk
is ~18-24" in diameter. I need to get rid of it. If someone out there
would like to come dig it up and take it, you can have it. Otherwise I will
have to haul it to the dump. I was told that the best time to transplant
them is in Feb.

Email me at with Sago Palm in the subject if you are
interested.

thanks,
daveP

Rusty Mase 05-04-2003 11:10 AM

Huge Sago Palm for the taking

On Wed, 01 Jan 2003 18:03:40 GMT, "David Peart"
wrote:

I have a huge sago palm in front of my house.

About 20 years ago I assisted in salvaging several similarly sized
palms displaced by construction along North MoPac. The construction
company dug them out and laid them down for us. The root ball was
like a turnip and not all that big, but all the dirt was lost.

A group of us dragged these onto a flatbed trailer using a 4-ton
electric winch. This was not an easy job as these palms are heavy.

But a mature palm is a nice asset and someone would want them. If you
could find a recipient. How about a picture on the internet and
calling the local landscape designers?

Rusty Mase

Rusty Mase 05-04-2003 11:10 AM

Huge Sago Palm for the taking

On Fri, 03 Jan 2003 08:41:34 -0600, Rusty Mase
wrote:

About 20 years ago I assisted in salvaging several similarly sized
palms

Oops, these were large yuccas and not palms.

Rusty Mase