Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
will

Default Where can I find "datura" which was mentioned above?

I read somebody mention datura, and it caught my eye. I did a google
search on it, and saw a few pictures, read a little info on the plant,
and now I really am interested.....

The only thing was......out of every single page I scrolled though, not
one of them had any info on ordering the plant........but almost
everyone of them had some kind of info on how to get high on them.

I am not looking for a "quick fix."

I just want an easy to maintain/grow flower to put in my backyard.
Nothing too fancy.......just something to impress my momma.

If anybody could help me find some, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks tons.

=will=

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
B.Server

On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 16:23:19 GMT, animaux
wrote:

You can buy rooted cuttings online at:

http://www.nativehabitat.com/plants.html

They also sell Datura wrightii at The Natural Gardener in Oak Hill.

Or, send me an email with your address and I can send you seeds of either
D.wrightii or D.inoxia or both, if you'd like.

My correct email is 0 but remove the zero at the end or it
will bounce back to you.

Victoria

And this year Park Seeds has a few in their catalog. Datura metel. as
I recall. There are also a couple of Brugmansia (sp?) which is
apparently closely related.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Rusty Mase

On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 02:15:44 GMT, animaux
wrote:

Brugmansia and datura are in the same family; Solanacea or nightshade.

Do Brugmansia flowers have the same intoxicating fragance as Datura?
I think I have D. metaloides. Siting around the flowering plants in
the summer is really nice. The plants do get fairly big though. A
nice one takes up 16 square feet (4' x 4").

Rusty Mase
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Rusty Mase

On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 14:21:13 GMT, animaux
wrote:

Brugmansia far surpass the scent of datura ten fold.

Looks like I need a change of genus, then. The Datura I have is the
commonly encountered annual weed. Single flowered so it is probably
just a D stramonium.

So what I need is a Brugmansia in a large container that I over-winter
in my green house. And that means I get a green house!

Rusty Mase
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Brian Martin

I have both Brugmansia & Daturas. The flower on the Dantura grows
up...pointing to the sky. The flower on the Brugmansia {or angel trumpets}
grows down. Both are easy to grow and are beautiful!!! The fragrance is
stronger in the evening and a bloom will only last about a day in heat. But
in the fall and spring they will hang for ever it seems. I bought mine white
Dantura at the The Antique Rose Emporium at
Mail Order
800-441-0002
979-836-9051 Customer Service
979-836-0928 Fax
9300 Lueckemeyer Rd., Brenham, TX 77833
Mon-Fri 9am-4:30pm CT http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/

My double purple and & white Dantra plus my yellow, and my peach Brugmansia
I got at Maas Nursery
http://www.maasnursery.com/bamboo.htm
Both do mail orders and have a pretty good selection. I have these planted
in the shade and sun...and the one in the sun does great as long as I feed
and water it regularly. I think they are a great addition to any garden.
Remember that the Dantras are VERY Poinus!! So if you have small children or
animals who chew you may want to create its own little area. I have done
this on the side of my house due to the fact that I have Great Danes and the
female will eat a house in a matter of minutes!ha! On this side I have my
Castro bean plants also. I must say it is my favorite part of the yard...and
it is our entrance for our friends to enjoy. I also have a TON of seed and
would be willing to trade if anyone wants...
Hope this helped...
Lorraine
Waller, TX

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Rusty Mase

On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 01:11:21 GMT, animaux
wrote:

It may well be, but D.stramonium are very leggy and not very beautiful.

Yes, true, but the aroma of the flowers is why I keep them around.
There are times during the summer where one plant will have 20 large
flowers up. They take almost no care, just some space.

But I will get a Brugmansia this year!

Rusty Mase

Datura - datura.jpg Ann Garden Photos 4 09-08-2007 11:36 PM
Further to Leylandii in pots. Mentioned above Mike Fitzpatrick United Kingdom 14 21-01-2006 02:22 PM
That odd straight across pruning method recently mentioned dave weil Gardening 20 26-08-2004 07:14 AM
That odd straight across pruning method recently mentioned Martin United Kingdom 21 26-08-2004 07:14 AM
Where can I find "datura" which was mentioned above? will Texas 0 07-02-2003 05:16 AM