Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
will

Default Legal/Enviroment Question.....

My girlfriends mom has always marveled at blooming prickly pair cacti
and has always wanted one.

There is a HUGE pasture by their house that has them everywhere.

I just wanted to know whether or not there is anything illeagal or
anyway that we could somehow damage the "ecosystem" out there by just
taking one small to medium sized cactus out of a pasture that has
hundreds.

I just want to make sure before I do anything......

=will=

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Dewitt

Legally, you can't remove any plant without the permission of the land
owner. Likely though that the owner would tell you to bring truck and
load up all the prickly pear you want. FYI, it roots easily. Just
break off a pad, stick it in a half course sand / half potting soil
mix, and away you go.

deg

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
animaux

There are much prettier versions in cultivation which can be purchased. They
sell them at The Natural Gardener and Barton Springs Nursery. I have one which
has pinkish cast to the leaves and blooms the most beautiful light yellow, twice
in the season.

If you get permission from the landowner you can take that cactus, but beware,
the spines are like tiny silica tubes which get into your skin and hurt for a
week or so. If I so much as go by or weed near my cactus it leaves spines in my
body, somewhere! I'd just go buy one in cultivation. They cost about 15
dollars for a 3 gallon size and that way nothing was done illegally.

Victoria