Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Hombre

Default Live Oak Questions...

It seems I have two kinds of Live Oaks in my yard. One is just now
gaining foliage, is a bit straighter than the others that are losing
leaves.

Anyone know other differences or names.

Hombre
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Terry Horton

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 03:26:18 GMT, Hombre
wrote:

It seems I have two kinds of Live Oaks in my yard. One is just now
gaining foliage, is a bit straighter than the others that are losing
leaves.

Anyone know other differences or names.

_Quercus pungens_ (scrub oak, sandpaper oak) somewhat resembles an
upright live oak.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Texensis

"Terry Horton" wrote in message
news | On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 03:26:18 GMT, Hombre
| wrote:
|
| It seems I have two kinds of Live Oaks in my yard. One is just now
| gaining foliage, is a bit straighter than the others that are
losing
| leaves.
|
| Anyone know other differences or names.
|
| _Quercus pungens_ (scrub oak, sandpaper oak) somewhat resembles an
| upright live oak.

That having been said, we have several live oak trees and each one
follows a schedule different from all the others when it comes to
dropping its leaves in the spring--not that there's not some overlap,
but each begins and finishes on its own timetable.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Babberney

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 13:34:29 GMT, "Texensis"
wrote:

"Terry Horton" wrote in message
news | On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 03:26:18 GMT, Hombre
| wrote:
|
| It seems I have two kinds of Live Oaks in my yard. One is just now
| gaining foliage, is a bit straighter than the others that are
losing
| leaves.
|
| Anyone know other differences or names.
|
| _Quercus pungens_ (scrub oak, sandpaper oak) somewhat resembles an
| upright live oak.

That having been said, we have several live oak trees and each one
follows a schedule different from all the others when it comes to
dropping its leaves in the spring--not that there's not some overlap,
but each begins and finishes on its own timetable.

You also may be seeing the native live oak (Q. fusiformis) next to the
most common transplant from the Deep South (Q. virginiana). The
native tends to grow more slowly, while the nursery treatment of the
transplants tends to yield lots of crowded branches clustered near the
main trunk, often with very tight crotches (a warning sign for branch
failure, BTW).

But certainly it wouldn't be surprising to see two trees of identical
species dropping leaves at slightly different times.

Keith
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Texensis

"Babberney" wrote in message
| On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 13:34:29 GMT, "Texensis"
| wrote:

snip|
| That having been said, we have several live oak trees and each one
| follows a schedule different from all the others when it comes to
| dropping its leaves in the spring--not that there's not some
overlap,
| but each begins and finishes on its own timetable.
|

| You also may be seeing the native live oak (Q. fusiformis) next to
the
| most common transplant from the Deep South (Q. virginiana). The
| native tends to grow more slowly, while the nursery treatment of the
| transplants tends to yield lots of crowded branches clustered near
the
| main trunk, often with very tight crotches (a warning sign for
branch
| failure, BTW).
|
| But certainly it wouldn't be surprising to see two trees of
identical
| species dropping leaves at slightly different times.

We have what we've always assumed are native live oaks, certainly here
long before there were houses, and huge. How to count them I'm not
sure, since one is on a motte and multi-trunked (still six, with two
ancient and large stumps), and though we tend to think of it as one
tree others say "trees," plus there's one that springs from a single
very large trunk, although it splits into major vertical uprights.
Needless to say, there's not much sun around here! Neighbors have
similar trees, and the period of greatest intensity of leaf "rain"
is slightly different for each, as are the days of first fall....or so
it seems......same with our pecan trees.

Buy Live Fish Live Plants Live Food Online In Canada H2O Aquatic Solutions Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 10-12-2004 01:14 AM
Where to buy a LARGE Live Oak? gologa Texas 19 18-07-2003 02:42 PM
live oak has a lot of white patches James Texas 1 08-04-2003 06:20 PM
Live Oak Questions... Hombre Texas 4 18-03-2003 05:32 PM
Live Oak problems????? Brian L Gautreau Plant Science 2 21-02-2003 10:07 PM