GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Alternative Lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/141446-alternative-lawn.html)

[email protected] 22-03-2006 09:25 PM

Alternative Lawn

Hello. I would like to grow a moss lawn or a clover lawn. Does anyone
have any experience or ideas with this? Also, is there a good place in
town to buy clover seeds? Thank you.

Luther

[email protected] 23-03-2006 05:23 AM

Alternative Lawn

I'm in Austin, TX.........

Cliff 23-03-2006 04:08 PM

Alternative Lawn

The point is if you look around you don't see many moss or clover lawns in
Austin. Best to stick with something that is better adapted to the area.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm in Austin, TX.........

[email protected] 24-03-2006 04:48 AM

Alternative Lawn

Well I see clovers growing all over the place. I think clovers would
grow much better than grass would in my yard.

Cliff wrote:
The point is if you look around you don't see many moss or clover lawns in
Austin. Best to stick with something that is better adapted to the area.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm in Austin, TX.........

Victor Martinez 24-03-2006 01:47 PM

Alternative Lawn

wrote:
Well I see clovers growing all over the place. I think clovers would
grow much better than grass would in my yard.

Do you mean oxalis? It looks like clover, but it isn't. This time of
year it's covered in pink or white flowers, very pretty to look at.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Email me he

[email protected] 25-03-2006 05:07 AM

Alternative Lawn

It could very well be oxalis that I'm thinking of. Is there any way to
get seeds of the local variety of oxalis for planting? It seems that
they could grow well without much water or sun, which is the state of
my back yard.

Cindy 25-03-2006 06:21 AM

Alternative Lawn

typed:
It could very well be oxalis that I'm thinking of. Is there any
way to get seeds of the local variety of oxalis for planting? It
seems that they could grow well without much water or sun, which is
the state of my back yard.

Hmm I think they dry up in the summer when it gets hot.

Victor Martinez 25-03-2006 12:51 PM

Alternative Lawn

wrote:
It could very well be oxalis that I'm thinking of. Is there any way to
get seeds of the local variety of oxalis for planting? It seems that
they could grow well without much water or sun, which is the state of
my back yard.

I've never seen seeds for sale, but they are very prolific. :)
Also, they disappear as soon as it gets warm.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Email me he

OmManiPadmeOmelet 25-03-2006 03:19 PM

Alternative Lawn

In article .com,
wrote:

It could very well be oxalis that I'm thinking of. Is there any way to
get seeds of the local variety of oxalis for planting? It seems that
they could grow well without much water or sun, which is the state of
my back yard.

The seed pods are numerous on the few I allow to live. ;-)
I tolerate them as a garden weed since they are a legume.

Never thought about planting a lawn with them. Will they survive doggy
pounding?

I'm still looking for a good border collie proof ground cover. :-(
--
Peace, Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet 25-03-2006 03:20 PM

Alternative Lawn

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

typed:
It could very well be oxalis that I'm thinking of. Is there any
way to get seeds of the local variety of oxalis for planting? It
seems that they could grow well without much water or sun, which is
the state of my back yard.

Hmm I think they dry up in the summer when it gets hot.

Mine don't, but they get watered.
--
Peace, Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet 25-03-2006 06:27 PM

Alternative Lawn

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
I'm still looking for a good border collie proof ground cover. :-(

Crushed granite.

snork Thanks. ;-)

Guess I could spray paint it green.......

Seriously tho', we are considering re-configuring the hotwire and
restricting her stomping grounds a bit.
--
Peace, Om.

Cindy 25-03-2006 07:04 PM

Alternative Lawn

OmManiPadmeOmelet typed:
In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
I'm still looking for a good border collie proof ground cover.
:-(

Crushed granite.

snork Thanks. ;-)

Guess I could spray paint it green.......

Seriously tho', we are considering re-configuring the hotwire and
restricting her stomping grounds a bit.

Darn dogs. I have a Great Dane, and when it's muddy out, he makes *divots*
when he rains....the dog paths in the yard look like cow trails. So I
sectioned off a third of the back yard for me, and left the rest for the
dogs. Now they go out of their way to poop on MY part. @#$@$?!
;)

Cindy 25-03-2006 07:59 PM

Alternative Lawn

Cindy typed:
OmManiPadmeOmelet typed:
In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
I'm still looking for a good border collie proof ground cover.
:-(

Crushed granite.

snork Thanks. ;-)

Guess I could spray paint it green.......

Seriously tho', we are considering re-configuring the hotwire and
restricting her stomping grounds a bit.

Darn dogs. I have a Great Dane, and when it's muddy out, he makes
*divots* when he rains....the dog paths in the yard look like cow
trails. So I sectioned off a third of the back yard for me, and
left the rest for the dogs. Now they go out of their way to poop
on MY part. @#$@$?! ;)

I meant, when he RUNS.