GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   mountain vs. cherry laurel (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/14224-mountain-vs-cherry-laurel.html)

cubby 08-04-2003 11:32 AM

mountain vs. cherry laurel

i am in georgetown...do cherry laurels do well in this area? how do they
compare to the mountain laurel? are either of these fast growers?

tw
TW

Babberney 08-04-2003 06:20 PM

mountain vs. cherry laurel

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 05:22:34 -0500, "cubby"
wrote:

i am in georgetown...do cherry laurels do well in this area? how do they
compare to the mountain laurel? are either of these fast growers?

tw

Mountain laurels (Sophora secundiflora) are natives (not true laurels,
and not what gets called mountain laurel elsewhere). They are very
nice plants, but grow quite slowly.

Cherry laurels (Prunus caroliniana) are also not laurels, but rather
are related to fruit trees. I've seen some that have problems in this
area, but generally they do quite well and grow much faster than
mountain laurel. Their fruits are favored by some birds.

Keith
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html

B.Server 09-04-2003 03:56 AM

mountain vs. cherry laurel

wrote:

i am in georgetown...do cherry laurels do well in this area? how do they
compare to the mountain laurel? are either of these fast growers?

tw
TW

Cherry laurels grow fairly well hereabouts. They suffer some from
fireblight. They will vigorously and relentlessly multiply through
seed. You will find that the migrating birds love the fruit and that
it passes through said birds onto your car, walkways, and self in
minutes. (dark red, should you be curious)

I have been sorry that the wood is not more stable as it has a
distinct orange-red color when dry. Unfortunately, it shrinks,
twists, and cracks badly.

J Kolenovsky 09-04-2003 05:20 AM

mountain vs. cherry laurel

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o.../tamuhort.html

cubby wrote:
=

i am in georgetown...do cherry laurels do well in this area? how do the=

compare to the mountain laurel? are either of these fast growers?
=

tw
TW

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 -
http://www.celestialhabitats.com - commercial
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html

Carol Adams 11-04-2003 06:20 AM

mountain vs. cherry laurel

I don't know about cherry laurels, but mountain laurels do really great in
this area. I don't think they are particularly fast growers, however.

Greg C 11-04-2003 02:56 PM

mountain vs. cherry laurel

I don't think much grows slower than mountain laurels.
--

Greg