Old 08-04-2003, 11:32 AM
cubby

Default mountain vs. cherry laurel

i am in georgetown...do cherry laurels do well in this area? how do they
compare to the mountain laurel? are either of these fast growers?

tw
TW

Old 08-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Babberney

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 05:22:34 -0500, "cubby"
wrote:

i am in georgetown...do cherry laurels do well in this area? how do they
compare to the mountain laurel? are either of these fast growers?

tw

Mountain laurels (Sophora secundiflora) are natives (not true laurels,
and not what gets called mountain laurel elsewhere). They are very
nice plants, but grow quite slowly.

Cherry laurels (Prunus caroliniana) are also not laurels, but rather
are related to fruit trees. I've seen some that have problems in this
area, but generally they do quite well and grow much faster than
mountain laurel. Their fruits are favored by some birds.

Keith
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html
Old 09-04-2003, 03:56 AM
B.Server

wrote:

i am in georgetown...do cherry laurels do well in this area? how do they
compare to the mountain laurel? are either of these fast growers?

tw
TW

Cherry laurels grow fairly well hereabouts. They suffer some from
fireblight. They will vigorously and relentlessly multiply through
seed. You will find that the migrating birds love the fruit and that
it passes through said birds onto your car, walkways, and self in
minutes. (dark red, should you be curious)

I have been sorry that the wood is not more stable as it has a
distinct orange-red color when dry. Unfortunately, it shrinks,
twists, and cracks badly.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:20 AM
J Kolenovsky

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o.../tamuhort.html

cubby wrote:
=

i am in georgetown...do cherry laurels do well in this area? how do the=

compare to the mountain laurel? are either of these fast growers?
=

tw
TW

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 -
http://www.celestialhabitats.com - commercial
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html
Old 11-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Carol Adams

I don't know about cherry laurels, but mountain laurels do really great in
this area. I don't think they are particularly fast growers, however.

Old 11-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Greg C

I don't think much grows slower than mountain laurels.
--

Greg

Kalmia Latifolia (Mountain Laurel) Question mbillian Gardening 3 24-06-2003 02:20 AM
Texas Mountain Laurel: Sophora secundiflora Wendy North Carolina 1 01-05-2003 05:47 PM
Mountain Laurel problem L & S Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Texas Mountain Laurel: Sophora secundiflora Wendy North Carolina 1 03-04-2003 05:44 PM
Mountain Laurel problem L & S Texas 0 12-02-2003 04:38 PM