Old 20-04-2006, 01:25 PM posted to austin.gardening
jmcquown

Default Hi folks! Monkey Grass Help?

I'm new to this ng and no, I don't live in Austin. But maybe you can help
me. I live in west Tennessee and my apartment patio has "planting areas".

Unfortunately, whoever lived here before planted Monkey Grass and it's taken
over. Any suggestions as to how I can get rid of it? I have bird and
squirrel feeders so I don't want anything that might hurt them when they
forage on the ground. But this stuff is insidious! It simply won't go away
even when you cut it down and try to dig out the roots. Those roots are
waaaay too deep. I need something that will kill the roots and keep it from
coming back.

Is Roundup safe for use around animals? A friend suggested I just pour salt
all over them and then wet it down. I just want to get rid of the monkey
grass before I try to plant some flowers in the fall and some bulbs that
will come up in the spring.

Can anyone offer some suggestions as to how to get rid of this pesky
overgrown monkey grass? Thanks.

Jill

Old 20-04-2006, 01:39 PM posted to austin.gardening
Victor Martinez

jmcquown wrote:
I'm new to this ng and no, I don't live in Austin. But maybe you can help

Hi Jill!

Can anyone offer some suggestions as to how to get rid of this pesky
overgrown monkey grass? Thanks.

We don't like stuff like roundup, but there are more gently weed killers
out there. The most organic I can think of, is concentrated vinegar.
They sell it at nurseries and I've even seen it at home depot. It's best
to use in a hot day with no rain in the forecast. It's very smelly
though, so your neighbors might not appreciate it. There's another
product called Finale, it's not as bad as other products out there and
it's biodegradable:
http://www.bayercropscience.com.au/p...duct.asp?id=52

Good luck!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 20-04-2006, 05:30 PM posted to austin.gardening
jmcquown

Victor Martinez wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
I'm new to this ng and no, I don't live in Austin. But maybe you
can help

Hi Jill!

Hey, Victor! I should have just asked on the other ng, eh?

Can anyone offer some suggestions as to how to get rid of this pesky
overgrown monkey grass? Thanks.

We don't like stuff like roundup, but there are more gently weed
killers out there. The most organic I can think of, is concentrated
vinegar.
They sell it at nurseries and I've even seen it at home depot. It's
best
to use in a hot day with no rain in the forecast. It's very smelly
though, so your neighbors might not appreciate it. There's another
product called Finale, it's not as bad as other products out there and
it's biodegradable:
http://www.bayercropscience.com.au/p...duct.asp?id=52

Good luck!

Another friend told me to use salt. And to water it down heavily after
dosing the plants with salt. Hmmmm.

Jill

Old 20-04-2006, 06:28 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

Victor, do you have any experience with Finale? With my inability to
keep up for two years with the bermuda weeding and that damn perennial
morning glory they sell at the Natural Gardener, I finally must use a
herbicide.

Finale seems to be the one application that, while stepping over the
line, may have the least impact on soil biota. Is this your
understanding?

Thanks, V

Old 20-04-2006, 07:03 PM posted to austin.gardening
pistor

Jangchub wrote:
Victor, do you have any experience with Finale? With my inability to

We use it sparingly where all else fails.

Finale seems to be the one application that, while stepping over the
line, may have the least impact on soil biota. Is this your
understanding?

Precisely. It does not accumulate in the soil and it breaks down
readily into non-toxic components.

Jill, do not use salt. Salt will poison the soil forever.

Victor

Old 21-04-2006, 03:35 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Victor Martinez wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

A liberal amount of salt will kill most any plant. As will other household
chemicals, like chlorine bleach for instance.
--
Jonny