Old 12-05-2006, 04:05 PM posted to austin.gardening
Richard

Default Single-shred mulch

Hi, everyone.

I've been using the typical dark, shredded hardwood mulch throughout my
yard and heard about another type of hardwood mulch that I'm interested
in finding. The issues I have with what I'm using is that over time it
compacts pretty densly and it washes away fairly easily. I'm not crazy
about the bark chip type mulch that could be a replacement.

Not too long ago I was told about a hardwood mulch that only goes
through one shredding, as opposed to two which is what you find in the
typical red shredded mulch or shredded hardwood mulch. The mulch isn't
as finely shredded and won't compact down as much as the other stuff
I've been using. Have any of you heard about or know where to get
something like this?

Thanks a bunch.

rj

Old 12-05-2006, 06:55 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com,
"Richard" wrote:

Hi, everyone.

I've been using the typical dark, shredded hardwood mulch throughout my
yard and heard about another type of hardwood mulch that I'm interested
in finding. The issues I have with what I'm using is that over time it
compacts pretty densly and it washes away fairly easily. I'm not crazy
about the bark chip type mulch that could be a replacement.

Not too long ago I was told about a hardwood mulch that only goes
through one shredding, as opposed to two which is what you find in the
typical red shredded mulch or shredded hardwood mulch. The mulch isn't
as finely shredded and won't compact down as much as the other stuff
I've been using. Have any of you heard about or know where to get
something like this?

Thanks a bunch.

rj

I don't, but some of the most awesome mulch I've seen lately is crushed
pecan shells. They've been using them extensively at my work place now
for about 5 years.

They look amazing and last a very long time!

I use home composted leaf mulch myself and upped the ante this year. As
a result, I'm doing a LOT less weeding and I'm saving on water.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

To compost/mulch or not to compost/mulch Malcolm United Kingdom 15 03-05-2009 09:19 AM
Rose - Rose-Single-Pink-4.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 17-04-2009 10:15 AM
To Mulch or Not to Mulch Ron H Gardening 6 13-08-2006 09:06 PM
Shred this Chris Bacon United Kingdom 16 27-04-2006 07:27 AM
Paper shred George.com Australia 6 06-04-2006 12:52 PM