Old 09-07-2006, 11:54 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

Default Soil remake

Lot of soil in one corner of the backyard is about 6" thick from old juniper
"leaves". Passes water easily, not much can grow in it including grasses.
Is there any way to accelerate the degenerative process of juniper tree's
leaves while in place in the ground?

--
Jonny

Old 09-07-2006, 02:06 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article t,
"Jonny" wrote:

Lot of soil in one corner of the backyard is about 6" thick from old juniper
"leaves". Passes water easily, not much can grow in it including grasses.
Is there any way to accelerate the degenerative process of juniper tree's
leaves while in place in the ground?

I think most gymnosperm mulch is acidic.
Try adding some limestone sand maybe?
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 11-07-2006, 01:56 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

Can you copy some info and paste it in a reply?
My browser seems to work fine. However, IE message says:
The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site
might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your
browser settings.

--
Jonny

"Mike Harris" wrote in message
.com...
Try this link:

http://www.malcolmbeck.com/books/gv_...ingGrowing.htm

Note that cedar droppings "in the wild" still contain the cedar oil which
may have an inhibitory effect on growth.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

k.net...

Old 11-07-2006, 05:31 PM posted to austin.gardening
Mike Harris

Try this:

http://tinyurl.com/zadvh

"Jonny" wrote in message
news
Can you copy some info and paste it in a reply?
My browser seems to work fine. However, IE message says:
The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site
might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust
your browser settings.

--
Jonny

"Mike Harris" wrote in message
.com...
Try this link:

http://www.malcolmbeck.com/books/gv_...ingGrowing.htm

Note that cedar droppings "in the wild" still contain the cedar oil which
may have an inhibitory effect on growth.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

k.net...

Old 13-07-2006, 01:43 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

Thanks. Works fine here.

Basically its saying the writer used a mineral/nutrient mix (one gallon of
colloidal phosphate clay for mineral and six quarts of bat guano for
nitrogen) dry cedar flakes. Then created another nutrient mixture (watered
with a nutrient solution of two tablespoons fish emulsion, one tablespoon
liquid seaweed, one tablespoon of feed-grade molasses, and one teaspoon of a
biological product called Agri-GroT mixed into three gallons of water).
And continued watering with same solution. Wet cedar is a no-no trying to
modify.

Lot of this also clarifies my stunted growth problem in the garden. Shallow
raised bed of soil. Guessing when the roots hit the native soil, lack of
nutrients and leachates from cedar tree runoff is the problem. Looks like
I'll start over with a deeper bed next year.

The link does give me ideas on how to modify dead cedar leaves for grass
growth without digging all of it up. Although won't be as drastic in
modfication and labor intensive as total excavation.
--
Jonny
"Mike Harris" wrote in message
y.com...
Try this:

http://tinyurl.com/zadvh

"Jonny" wrote in message
news
Can you copy some info and paste it in a reply?
My browser seems to work fine. However, IE message says:
The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site
might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust
your browser settings.

--
Jonny

"Mike Harris" wrote in message
.com...
Try this link:

http://www.malcolmbeck.com/books/gv_...ingGrowing.htm

Note that cedar droppings "in the wild" still contain the cedar oil
which may have an inhibitory effect on growth.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

k.net...