Old 23-03-2007, 03:16 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default First snake

As I was de-leafing my pool today (live oak leaf drop season) I spotted
a 12" rat snake taking a swim. It was a bit small to get out of the pool
so I gave it a hand.

It is a type I've seen around before and I am happy with it's ability to
keep the mice & rats at bay. The rats used to clear out my bird feeder
in a couple of days and the mice made a nice apartment complex of my shed.

I had thought it was the birds emptying the feeder but one night I went
out with a flashlight into my shed and when I turned around the light
shown on my feeder with two giant rats eating away. They were so large
it was intimidating.

Since the snakes started showing up a couple of years ago the evidence
of rats and mice has pretty much gone away.
Old 23-03-2007, 12:32 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 22:16:15 -0500, jOhN
wrote:

As I was de-leafing my pool today (live oak leaf drop season) I spotted
a 12" rat snake taking a swim. It was a bit small to get out of the pool
so I gave it a hand.

It is a type I've seen around before and I am happy with it's ability to
keep the mice & rats at bay. The rats used to clear out my bird feeder
in a couple of days and the mice made a nice apartment complex of my shed.

I had thought it was the birds emptying the feeder but one night I went
out with a flashlight into my shed and when I turned around the light
shown on my feeder with two giant rats eating away. They were so large
it was intimidating.

Since the snakes started showing up a couple of years ago the evidence
of rats and mice has pretty much gone away.

I had the same experience the other day. So far I've seen about 4
baby snakes. They are rat snakes, but I also have corn snakes as
well. What we did was to put a huge brush pile at the back of the
property and the feeders are all back there. If rats come, they come.
I don't really mind them at all. I don't want them in the house or
roof, so I make it real comfortable for them outside.

white snake - white snake.jpg Persephone Garden Photos 1 26-04-2007 10:54 PM
Water Snake = Grass Snake? Terry Pinnell United Kingdom 1 15-06-2005 09:11 AM
Snake--- cool snake story... Gareee© Ponds 0 04-05-2004 02:02 PM
First Snake.. FIRE224U Ponds 1 10-06-2003 10:44 PM
Snake Traps [safe for you & wont harm the snake] james North Carolina 0 26-04-2003 02:56 AM