Old 23-04-2007, 07:27 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Plantng Row of Shrubs, Bed or Circles?

I'm getting ready to plant a row of shrubs (mostly Nellie Stevens
Holly) along the fence in the back yard of my new home in Austin. The
builder laid St. Augustine sod so I'm trying to decide whether I
should just make a small round bed for each shrub or just take out all
the grass for the first few feet depth along the fence. We had a bed
like that in our old yard, and I hated pulling weeds all the time.
I'm thinking the grass will just die back naturally as the shrubs take
over. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Merrill