Old 04-05-2007, 05:28 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Too early?

2 of 12 tomato plants have flowers. They dont have but 3 rows of stalks in
circumference around main stalk. Seems this is too early compared to my
crop last year. They were alot taller, more stalks and leaves too. ???

--
Dave

Old 06-05-2007, 04:36 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Fri, 04 May 2007 04:28:50 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

2 of 12 tomato plants have flowers. They dont have but 3 rows of stalks in
circumference around main stalk. Seems this is too early compared to my
crop last year. They were alot taller, more stalks and leaves too. ???

Nah, my heirlooms and store-bought Sweet100s are already setting
fruit. If they're leggy and pale give them more sun and some decent
fertilizer.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:49 AM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

2 of 12 tomato plants have flowers. They dont have but 3 rows of stalks
in
circumference around main stalk. Seems this is too early compared to my
crop last year. They were alot taller, more stalks and leaves too. ???

Nah, my heirlooms and store-bought Sweet100s are already setting
fruit. If they're leggy and pale give them more sun and some decent
fertilizer.

If you're in the Austin, TX region (central Texas), you're in the same area
I'm in. They are wide open to the sun 9-6 right now. Must be doing
something right here, vs. last year. Except for the 1 fighting the remnants
of leaf blight, all are fine.
--
Dave

Apathy and denial are close cousins

Old 06-05-2007, 05:31 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Sun, 06 May 2007 03:49:13 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

If you're in the Austin, TX region (central Texas), you're in the same area
I'm in. They are wide open to the sun 9-6 right now. Must be doing
something right here, vs. last year. Except for the 1 fighting the remnants
of leaf blight, all are fine.

You're right, sun usually isn't a problem in Austin. I'm growing my
tomatoes in pots this year, however, and haven't found quite the right
spot in the yard to give the tops 8 hours of sun without cooking the
pots. Gotta remember to feed 'em today, too...
Old 20-05-2007, 03:03 AM posted to austin.gardening

My cherry toms (sweet 100 and an unknown 'grape' cluster cherry) are
now starting to be covered with tiny fruit, and are still growing like
mad. They're only about 2.5' tall so far. I've got a big batch of
Soilsoup brewing, I'm going to drench everything on Monday when it's
ripe.

loyd

Old 20-05-2007, 03:31 PM posted to austin.gardening

On 19 May 2007 19:03:55 -0700, loydb
wrote:

My cherry toms (sweet 100 and an unknown 'grape' cluster cherry) are
now starting to be covered with tiny fruit, and are still growing like
mad. They're only about 2.5' tall so far. I've got a big batch of
Soilsoup brewing, I'm going to drench everything on Monday when it's
ripe.

loyd

I find my tomatoes are not setting up because of all the cloud cover
we've been having. I adore this weather, but it is going to get very
hot all at once and if night temps stay above 75 degrees, no fruit
will set.

I did try a new variety heirloom this year called 'Mexico.' I bought
a few plants at "Gardens" on 38th street. It may be wishful thinking
on my part that being called "Mexico" will indicate it will set fruit
in the heat.

The ONLY thing I miss about living in New York are my 'Brandywine'
tomatoes.

Question: What are you calling "Soilsoup?"
Old 21-05-2007, 05:32 PM posted to austin.gardening
dt dt is offline

wrote:

[...]

Looks like a copyrighted name for aerated compost tea:
http://www.soilsoup.com/home.asp

DT