Old 26-05-2003, 07:44 PM
DScott

Default What is this?

I have a white foamy substance on the stems of some roses, tomatoes, and a
couple of other plants. I have "washed it off" with a strong spray of water,
but it comes back. What causes this and what do I do about it, if anything?
Dianne in Austin
Zone 8, Central Texas

Old 26-05-2003, 08:08 PM
animaux

Spittle bugs are among the easiest bugs to identify. They get their name from
the clear, bubbly foam masses, in which the immature bugs hide. These masses of
spittle are about 1/3 to 3/4 inches in diameter.

Spittle bugs damage plants by piercing stems and feeding on plant juices. They
work from the ground level up toward newer growth. Heavy spittle bug feeding can
cause stunted plants and small fruit on plants, such as strawberries. Leaf
blades and petioles often appear distorted. This damage is only temporary and
the plants will outgrow it.

Since spittle bugs are not a significant pest in home gardens, hand picking the
few insects seen is often the best control. No insecticides are recommended
because the bugs are protected by the spittle.