Old 15-08-2003, 02:14 AM
saucy

Default Bluebonnets!

Animaux is correct. You can start with the seedlings in AK and they will
come back with a vengeance next year. It's a great thing to watch.

Starlia
"animaux" wrote in message
Not only do they come back from seed when allowed to thoroughly dry on the
plant, but they come back bigger and more of them. I started with plants.
Every year my stand of bluebonnets increases and I do nothing. Matter of

fact,
my bluebonnets are already germinating and starting to form their winter
rosette.

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:49:20 +0200, Igloo
wrote:

Thanks for the feedback! I was afraid that ripening the pods on the
plant was probably necessary!

Saucy, were your plants ever self-seeding? I have been starting mine in
planter boxes inside, but I would love to give them a plot of ground
outside if they'd claim it and come back every year!

Old 18-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Registered User

Location: Anchorage, AK

Thanks very much for the feedback, saucy and animaux! Do you think it would be worth dropping the seed this fall, then, and maybe mulching over them just before the first snow flies?

I am contemplating turning a little strip of yard on the south side of my house into a wild flower garden and planting some indigenous plants as well as the bluebonnets. See what I get!
Old 18-08-2003, 08:35 PM
Registered User

Location: Anchorage, AK
Default p.s.

(we've already got feral pansies popping up around the yard. I can't figure out where they came from since this was a new construction! I figure when I find them I'll transplant them!)
Old 19-08-2003, 02:02 PM
animaux

I don't have mulch where I put seeds. Where I put plants, I have mulched, but
by the time seeds pop out of the pods that mulch is relatively worn into the
soil.

So, one of the drawbacks of planting wildflowers from seed is that you cannot
mulch. Over time, if you have a prairie garden, that garden will make its own
mulch in the way of dead material and other debris.

The other day, just before it rained I went out and threw some bluebonnet seeds
out on the ground. Many of them have already germinated. Currently, there are
germinated seeds all over the garden, front and back.

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 21:32:36 +0200, Igloo
opined:

Bluebonnets Okiemama1 Texas 7 13-04-2006 04:51 AM
Portulaca and bluebonnets? [email protected] Texas 5 15-03-2005 01:19 AM
Bluebonnets junkyardcat Gardening 3 18-04-2004 03:03 PM
Texas bluebonnets junkyardcat Gardening 10 03-03-2004 07:12 AM