GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/45652-where-find-white-canadian-peat-moss.html)

ddaquaria 18-10-2003 05:02 AM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

I have already tried the standard home depots and lowes but did not see any
peat moss there that did not have additives. I am specifically looking for
white peat moss, but I will settle for "clean" peatmoss with no additives of
any type (just in a bale or bag).

Thanks in advance!

big D
--
Remove the word ³REMOVE² to reply to me.

Check out my fish site @
http://homepage.mac.com/ddaquaria/ddaquaria/

Or just a whole lot of macro and other aquarium pictures @
http://homepage.mac.com/ddaquaria/

B.Server 18-10-2003 09:32 PM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 03:57:13 GMT, ddaquaria
wrote:

I have already tried the standard home depots and lowes but did not see any
peat moss there that did not have additives. I am specifically looking for
white peat moss, but I will settle for "clean" peatmoss with no additives of
any type (just in a bale or bag).

Thanks in advance!

big D

Having never encountered a "white" peat bog, it is difficult to image
"white" peat moss. Most garden stores have baled Canadian sphagnum
moss, AKA peat moss. The last I bought was at Marbridge Farm, FWIW.

ddaquaria 19-10-2003 12:12 AM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

in article , B.Server at

wrote:

I have already tried the standard home depots and lowes but did not see any
peat moss there that did not have additives. I am specifically looking for
white peat moss, but I will settle for "clean" peatmoss with no additives of
any type (just in a bale or bag).

Thanks in advance!

big D

Having never encountered a "white" peat bog, it is difficult to image
"white" peat moss. Most garden stores have baled Canadian sphagnum
moss, AKA peat moss. The last I bought was at Marbridge Farm, FWIW.

Yeah, me neither. I was following the recommendations of a book that I am
reading. I looked on the South Side today and did not see any. I just got
the regular Canadian Peat Moss - like you suggested above. Thanks for your
help.

big D

animaux 19-10-2003 02:32 AM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

What are you trying to accomplish using peat moss? It is a very useful tool in
containers, but in our soils is completely useless. It does not lower pH, it
has absolutely no living biota, takes over 100 years to recharge in the bogs,
which are being depleted, and generally has nothing to add.

Now, if you are using un-milled sphagnum for orchids, that is different. This
plant likes that media. In the garden, it is useless and for the same money you
can buy compost which does a hundred times more to help plants in soil.

Containers, peat moss is okay, but I prefer not to use it in the garden.

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 03:57:13 GMT, ddaquaria opined:

ddaquaria 19-10-2003 06:12 AM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

in article , animaux at
wrote on 10/18/03 8:28 PM:

What are you trying to accomplish using peat moss? It is a very useful tool
in

I am using it to stimulate Discus and Angels to breed. I figured the best
place to ask for a garden item is in the garden newsgroup. Especially
concerning an item I have never seen that is intended for soil usage.

Thanks for your assistance. I went with some Canadian Spaghnum Peat Moss
that I found at Homedepot in a large bale.

Thanks again!

big D

J Kolenovsky 20-10-2003 01:02 AM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

What were the"additives?".

JK
ddaquaria wrote:
=

I have already tried the standard home depots and lowes but did not see=

any
peat moss there that did not have additives. I am specifically looking=

for
white peat moss, but I will settle for "clean" peatmoss with no additiv=

es of
any type (just in a bale or bag).
=

Thanks in advance!
=

big D
--
Remove the word =B3REMOVE=B2 to reply to me.
=

Check out my fish site @
http://homepage.mac.com/ddaquaria/ddaquaria/
=

Or just a whole lot of macro and other aquarium pictures @
http://homepage.mac.com/ddaquaria/

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal

J Kolenovsky 20-10-2003 01:02 AM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

Yes, at the age of 24, I spent 15% of my net disposable income trying to
keep Discus and breed them. Gorgeous fish.

JK

ddaquaria wrote:
=

in article , animaux at
=

animaux 20-10-2003 01:02 AM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 05:10:09 GMT, ddaquaria opined:

in article , animaux at
wrote on 10/18/03 8:28 PM:

What are you trying to accomplish using peat moss? It is a very useful tool
in

I am using it to stimulate Discus and Angels to breed. I figured the best
place to ask for a garden item is in the garden newsgroup. Especially
concerning an item I have never seen that is intended for soil usage.

Thanks for your assistance. I went with some Canadian Spaghnum Peat Moss
that I found at Homedepot in a large bale.

Thanks again!

big D

How do you do that? IN a tank? We have a 150 gallon aquarium and I couldn't
imagine putting peat moss in there! Is this something special? We collect
tetras. My favorites are the black neons.

Victoria

Victor Martinez 20-10-2003 02:46 AM

animaux wrote:
How do you do that? IN a tank? We have a 150 gallon aquarium and I couldn't
imagine putting peat moss in there! Is this something special? We collect
tetras. My favorites are the black neons.

People who want very soft, acidic water usually put some form of peat
moss in a sump or a canister filter. Some fish, like discus and neon
tetras need those specific conditions to breed.
I'd rather not go through all that trouble and so I keep fish that do ok
in the water that comes out of my tap. :)

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

ddaquaria 20-10-2003 03:42 AM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

in article , Victor Martinez at
wrote on 10/19/03 8:37 PM:

animaux wrote:
How do you do that? IN a tank? We have a 150 gallon aquarium and I couldn't
imagine putting peat moss in there! Is this something special? We collect
tetras. My favorites are the black neons.

People who want very soft, acidic water usually put some form of peat
moss in a sump or a canister filter. Some fish, like discus and neon
tetras need those specific conditions to breed.
I'd rather not go through all that trouble and so I keep fish that do ok
in the water that comes out of my tap. :)

You can go the route that Victor spoke of and place it in your filter. I
prefer the route of placing it in my RO water storage and only affect the
tank when I do water changes. It is not something most fish keepers will do
with their tanks. Come to the forum at
www.aquabotanic.com for more
information or the newsgroup for aquarium plants - but the detail we could
get into does not below in this newsgroup.

big D

animaux 20-10-2003 02:02 PM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 01:37:08 GMT, Victor Martinez opined:

animaux wrote:
How do you do that? IN a tank? We have a 150 gallon aquarium and I couldn't
imagine putting peat moss in there! Is this something special? We collect
tetras. My favorites are the black neons.

People who want very soft, acidic water usually put some form of peat
moss in a sump or a canister filter. Some fish, like discus and neon
tetras need those specific conditions to breed.
I'd rather not go through all that trouble and so I keep fish that do ok
in the water that comes out of my tap. :)

Ah. We don't have canister filtration. We have something that hangs off the
back. It pumps 500 gallons an hour. All the air pumps are in the garage. We
drilled holes in the wall and put the tubes through. Fortunately, the tank was
up against the wall where we could do that. I have not found any air pump which
doesn't make a ton of noise. Now, we hear nothing.

As for fish, we bought fish we were pretty sure wouldn't breed, so we're on the
other end of the spectrum. To use fish which require a low pH is futile. We'd
have to treat the tank constantly to maintain a low level pH. Our water is
about 7.6 - 7.8 and the fish are thriving.

animaux 20-10-2003 02:02 PM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 02:36:27 GMT, ddaquaria opined:

wrote on 10/19/03 8:37 PM:

animaux wrote:
[...]

Nice plants on that site. I need to order those corkscrew grasslike plants. I
need some tall plants to cover the undergravel filter tubes. Thanks for the
link.

victoria

Victor Martinez 20-10-2003 11:43 PM

animaux wrote:
Nice plants on that site. I need to order those corkscrew grasslike plants. I
need some tall plants to cover the undergravel filter tubes. Thanks for the
link.

Bear in mind that many aquatic plants require a fair ammount of light,
much more than the standard aquarium bulbs provide.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

big D 21-10-2003 03:22 AM

Victor Martinez wrote in message ...
animaux wrote:
Nice plants on that site. I need to order those corkscrew grasslike plants. I
need some tall plants to cover the undergravel filter tubes. Thanks for the
link.

Bear in mind that many aquatic plants require a fair ammount of light,
much more than the standard aquarium bulbs provide.

http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.c...2&f=3996060812

Here is a link for more information regarding lights and other
equipment.

Yes, certain plants do need more light than others, but using the
"fair amount" means absolutely nothing. A person's tank depends on
light, fish load, plant type, CO2 usage, and fert usage (hopefully I'm
not leaving anything out) Even when I had a 125 gallon african tank
lit only with 2-36" bulbs, I was able to grow anubias and vals. Sorry
Victor, but I can't fully agree with you and I am suprised you would
make the above statement without being more specific.

animaux 21-10-2003 04:23 AM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 22:33:33 GMT, Victor Martinez opined:

animaux wrote:
Nice plants on that site. I need to order those corkscrew grasslike plants. I
need some tall plants to cover the undergravel filter tubes. Thanks for the
link.

Bear in mind that many aquatic plants require a fair ammount of light,
much more than the standard aquarium bulbs provide.

Okay, so what would you classify a 4 foot tube? Is that low light in a 24 inch
deep tank? We were thinking of buying some in tank lighting for night drama!
Do those in tank uplights present any measure of light for plants, or are they
mostly decorative?

animaux 21-10-2003 04:23 AM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

On 20 Oct 2003 19:20:13 -0700, (big D) opined:

animaux wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the link. I didn't expect Victor to give me foot candle levels! :)
I understood what he meant and I also knew he wasn't being specific. I'll go do
some research.

Thanks,
Victoria

Victor Martinez 21-10-2003 02:02 PM

big D wrote:
Here is a link for more information regarding lights and other
equipment.

Here's another link, from the official FAQ of the aquaria newsgroups:
http://faq.thekrib.com/plant.html

Yes, certain plants do need more light than others, but using the
"fair amount" means absolutely nothing. A person's tank depends on

What I meant to say is that if she has the standard bulbs they sold her
with her tank it will be extremely difficult to grow most plants,
including the vals she expressed interest in. Perhaps I should've worded
it differently.

light, fish load, plant type, CO2 usage, and fert usage (hopefully I'm
not leaving anything out)

You missed one of the most important factors: substrate.

Even when I had a 125 gallon african tank
lit only with 2-36" bulbs, I was able to grow anubias and vals. Sorry

The lenght of the bulbs is irrelevant. Wattage is what would tell you if
you have enough light. Also, bigger tanks require less light than
smaller tanks to grow the same plants. In my 110 heavily planted tank I
had 110 watts of light for a year and most things grew like weeds. I've
just upgraded to 260 watts so I can grow plants that require more light.

Victor, but I can't fully agree with you and I am suprised you would
make the above statement without being more specific.

This is not an aquaria newsgroup, I was just giving simple, basic advise.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

big D 22-10-2003 02:22 AM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

light, fish load, plant type, CO2 usage, and fert usage (hopefully I'm
not leaving anything out)

You missed one of the most important factors: substrate.

The same person that spends $100 on substrate can be bested by the
person that spends only $10. Look at some people's natural tanks that
don't use flourite. Choice of substrate can depend on many variables
- and the primary is what you can afford. I didn't miss substate - to
me that is a given, how else are you going to "plant" life in your
tank.

The african tank had coral with laterite around the roots. Both
anubias and val grew great with the 2-36" FLs (maybe 30 or 40 Watts
each) I also used cheap aquaglow bulbs in the setup.

Even when I had a 125 gallon african tank
lit only with 2-36" bulbs, I was able to grow anubias and vals. Sorry

The lenght of the bulbs is irrelevant. Wattage is what would tell you if
you have enough light. Also, bigger tanks require less light than
smaller tanks to grow the same plants. In my 110 heavily planted tank I
had 110 watts of light for a year and most things grew like weeds. I've
just upgraded to 260 watts so I can grow plants that require more light.

Actually length was relevant in my comments - since I could not
remember the wattage of the basic 36" lights that come with a 125
gallon tank. Also try lighting a 4 ft tank with a 2 ft light. I
don't care what the wattage is, the plants on the edges of the light
will not do as well. I have tried this in my 120 with a 250W halide.
The center looked great but not the edges of the tank. Therefore
length is not totally irrelevant.

Here is an opinion (because I have seen this disputed), lighting is
not jsut about watts but kevin rating, age, and lumens. I bet there
are other variables, but I only worry about age and kevin. I always
recommend to people to choose plants that may be able to work with
your current setup before investing in other lights.

Victor, but I can't fully agree with you and I am suprised you would
make the above statement without being more specific.

This is not an aquaria newsgroup, I was just giving simple, basic advise.

That is the point of the links that both of us provided.

BTW, hope to see you at AGA in Dallas this year. There is more
information to be had at the convention.

Later

big D

Victor Martinez 22-10-2003 02:02 PM

big D wrote:
The same person that spends $100 on substrate can be bested by the
person that spends only $10. Look at some people's natural tanks that

While that is true (my 110 gallon tank started with regular gravel,
because I didn't know better at the time, plants still grow like weeds
there), two tanks with identical conditions but one with a fluorite
substrate and one with gravel substrate will probably have very
different growt and plant health.

The center looked great but not the edges of the tank. Therefore
length is not totally irrelevant.

Lenght is irrelevant in the sense that it does not tell you how much
light you're getting out of them. You can get 24" CF lamps with 65 and
95 Watts... clearly not the same.

Here is an opinion (because I have seen this disputed), lighting is
not jsut about watts but kevin rating, age, and lumens. I bet there

The kelvin rating is indeed a factor, but for freshwater planted tanks
the generally accepted recommendation is 6500K. I don't know enough
about sal****er tanks to comment, but they have other needs depending on
the type of critters you keep. All lights degrade with time, CF bulbs
should be changed every 14-16 months or so. I believe regular
fluorescent bulbs degrade faster.

are other variables, but I only worry about age and kevin. I always
recommend to people to choose plants that may be able to work with
your current setup before investing in other lights.

That's how I started, but in hindsight, it would have been better to
spend a little more and get better lights at the beginning.

BTW, hope to see you at AGA in Dallas this year. There is more
information to be had at the convention.

I generally try to avoid going to Big D as much as possible, but they do
have that new museum I'm interested in visiting. We'll see... :)

Cheers.

Victor

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

big D 23-10-2003 04:22 AM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

Lenght is irrelevant in the sense that it does not tell you how much
light you're getting out of them. You can get 24" CF lamps with 65 and
95 Watts... clearly not the same.

I don't think you understand. I said the length because I was
refering to standard lights that come with 6ft - 125 gallon tanks.
You have completely taken my original thought out of context. I have
never seen a standard 125 sold with CF only FLs which usually measure
as 2-36" FLs. That was my only point.

I generally try to avoid going to Big D as much as possible, but they do
have that new museum I'm interested in visiting. We'll see... :)

When do we get to see your tank(s)? I have seen you post before, but
I don't think I have ever seen pictures. Let me know if you post
some. Or just go post at aquabotanic.

Also, have you considered joining CAS - the Capitol Aquarium Society
in Austin. You can find more information here. www.petsforum.com/cas

I invite all that have read these post to our meetings.

Peace

ddaquaria

Victor Martinez 23-10-2003 02:02 PM

big D wrote:
When do we get to see your tank(s)? I have seen you post before, but
I don't think I have ever seen pictures. Let me know if you post

I haven't taken pictures in a while... I should. Here's an old one, from
about 6 months ago or so:
http://home.austin.rr.com/lunamayaxoxo/fish/tank1.jpg

Also, have you considered joining CAS - the Capitol Aquarium Society
in Austin. You can find more information here. www.petsforum.com/cas

Sounds interesting, I'll check it out.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

animaux 23-10-2003 02:44 PM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

On 22 Oct 2003 20:16:58 -0700, (big D) opined:

Also, have you considered joining CAS - the Capitol Aquarium Society
in Austin. You can find more information here.
www.petsforum.com/cas

I invite all that have read these post to our meetings.

Peace

ddaquaria

Wow, that many be something my husband would be interested in. We virtually know
nothing about things, outside what we've read and experimented with. Last
winter I didn't want to leave the comets out in the cold pond. BIG mistake. We
had a 30 gallon tank with 4, 6 inch comets, two cory cats, two suckers. Almost
daily I had to check the water for ammonia and nitrites. I carried them through
the winter in that tank. After they returned to the pond in the spring, we
cleaned up the tank and started collecting some small fish. When I saw my
husband got such great pleasure out of it, I insisted he buy a beautiful 150
gallon aquarium.

So, this is off topic, but I was wondering about the shrimp I saw on one of the
photos...will my other fish eat the shrimp? We like the ghost shrimp, but I'd
die if they became food for the others. We only have small, schooling community
fish. Black neons, lemon tetras, blood fin tetras, cory cats, suckers, striped
dano's (unfrilled) and that's it. We have nowhere near the amount of fish we
could have in the tank.

So, shrimp. Are they food for fish?

Victoria

animaux 23-10-2003 02:44 PM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:45:00 GMT, Victor Martinez opined:

I haven't taken pictures in a while... I should. Here's an old one, from
about 6 months ago or so:
http://home.austin.rr.com/lunamayaxoxo/fish/tank1.jpg

What is the plant in the lower left corner?

Stan Moore 23-10-2003 11:02 PM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

Try one of these sites

http://merrifieldgardencenter.com/products.php?pid=818

http://merrifieldgardencenter.com/products.php?pid=810

http://www.usenet.com

Victor Martinez 24-10-2003 01:42 AM

animaux wrote:
What is the plant in the lower left corner?

A generic sword. It's twice the size now...!

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Victor Martinez 24-10-2003 01:42 AM

animaux wrote:
So, shrimp. Are they food for fish?

Depends on the fish and the shrimp. I keep 3 different types of shrimp
and I also feed ghost shrimp, which are sold as food anyway. :)

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

ddaquaria 24-10-2003 03:32 AM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

in article , animaux at
wrote on 10/23/03 8:35 AM:

On 22 Oct 2003 20:16:58 -0700,
(big D) opined:

Also, have you considered joining CAS - the Capitol Aquarium Society
in Austin. You can find more information here.
www.petsforum.com/cas

I invite all that have read these post to our meetings.

cleaned up the tank and started collecting some small fish. When I saw my
husband got such great pleasure out of it, I insisted he buy a beautiful 150
gallon aquarium.

That is wonderful. I like to hear people getting pleasure from their tanks.
Here is a picture of one of my tanks (the angel tank).
http://petsforum.com/cas/Gallery.html
Select the picture for a larger view. I plan to post more members' tanks
this weekend.
I'm ddaquaria.

So, shrimp. Are they food for fish?

They can be. When you have shrimp in a tank, they need cover otherwise they
get eaten. They can even be eaten with a lot of cover. I put 20 ghost
shrimp in my angel tank last Friday, and the only 4 I have seen had jumped
out. Otherwise I think the others have been devoured.

The other option is Singapore shrimp (or fan shrimp). These are usually
larger in size and fend for themselves very well in a tank. Cost about
$8-10 at a local fish store (LFS). They are filter feeders a like to hang
out near the filter. So far the two I have in my angel tank have been their
for about 2 years.

big D

ddaquaria 24-10-2003 03:32 AM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

in article , Stan Moore at wrote
on 10/23/03 4:45 PM:

Try one of these sites

http://merrifieldgardencenter.com/products.php?pid=818

http://merrifieldgardencenter.com/products.php?pid=810

Thank you. The second one is what I basically bought, except I got a bale
of it.

big D

ddaquaria 24-10-2003 03:42 AM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

It's twice the size now...!

Which means we should see an updated shot soon...
Or we will wait till he joins CAS so we can post it on the Members' Gallery
(smile)

big D

Victor Martinez 24-10-2003 01:02 PM

ddaquaria wrote:
That is wonderful. I like to hear people getting pleasure from their tanks.
Here is a picture of one of my tanks (the angel tank).

Cool! I'm finally getting some vals from LeighMo
(rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants). The problem with my tank is that it
doesn't really have a background, since it sits in the middle of a room.
Are some of your angels those peruvian scalare Aquatek had for sale a
while ago? I bought some of those when they were quarter size and now
they are enormous!

The other option is Singapore shrimp (or fan shrimp). These are usually
larger in size and fend for themselves very well in a tank. Cost about
$8-10 at a local fish store (LFS). They are filter feeders a like to hang
out near the filter. So far the two I have in my angel tank have been their
for about 2 years.

I have three of those and they spend all of their time in the giant
sword near the recirculating Eheim ball I have there. I also have a
bunch of Caridina japonica, which have been in the tank for almost a
year now. The females are always gravid, but I've never seen a baby make
it. My cherry shrimp live in the small tank, which doubles as my
quarantine tank (I know, I know... I'm not allowed more tanks though).
Right now it's inhabited by 3 Botia striata, a few pigmy cory cats, 6
new Melanotaenia praecox, the 3 cherry shrimp, 2 large snails (Pomacea
bridgesii), and thousands of MTS. :)
I wouldn't risk the cherry shrimp in the big tank, they're too small and
the angels are too big...

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

animaux 24-10-2003 02:12 PM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 02:22:58 GMT, ddaquaria opined:

That is wonderful. I like to hear people getting pleasure from their tanks.
Here is a picture of one of my tanks (the angel tank).
http://petsforum.com/cas/Gallery.html
Select the picture for a larger view. I plan to post more members' tanks
this weekend.
I'm ddaquaria.

Yes, my husband never spends money on himself and I go full hog on plants,
compost, plants, plants, plants! I LOVE when he expresses interest in something
and I embrace it with passion. He really does love the tank and it's a
beautiful part of our living room. Your tank looks beautiful, as does Victor's.

I noticed you have a large piece of driftwood in there. I have driftwood which
I collected from Lake Lewisville when we lived up there in Dallas. Can I use
that in the tank? If so, does it need to be cleaned in any particular way or is
that wood not real in your tank? I need something to build height at the back
of the tank.

So, shrimp. Are they food for fish?

They can be. When you have shrimp in a tank, they need cover otherwise they
get eaten. They can even be eaten with a lot of cover. I put 20 ghost
shrimp in my angel tank last Friday, and the only 4 I have seen had jumped
out. Otherwise I think the others have been devoured.

The other option is Singapore shrimp (or fan shrimp). These are usually
larger in size and fend for themselves very well in a tank. Cost about
$8-10 at a local fish store (LFS). They are filter feeders a like to hang
out near the filter. So far the two I have in my angel tank have been their
for about 2 years.

big D

I'll look into it. One of our lemon tetras didn't make it, yesterday. I wonder
why. I get so upset. Some people think I'm crazy, they say "it's only a fish"
but to me it's a life. Life is life. I fuss over my plants too!

Thanks for all the indulgence in this subject. I mean, this is not exactly a
fast paced group! A little OT never hurt anyone, and we are talking about
plants. :)

victoria

Victor Martinez 25-10-2003 01:22 AM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:38:46 GMT

I noticed you have a large piece of driftwood in there. I have driftwood which
I collected from Lake Lewisville when we lived up there in Dallas. Can I use
that in the tank? If so, does it need to be cleaned in any particular way or is
that wood not real in your tank? I need something to build height at the back
of the tank.

Wood makes a wonderful addition to a tank, plus it helps soften and
acidify our hard and alkaline water. You might want to boil the wood for
a few hours and then let it soak, weighted down until it no longer floats.

I'll look into it. One of our lemon tetras didn't make it, yesterday. I wonder
why. I get so upset. Some people think I'm crazy, they say "it's only a fish"
but to me it's a life. Life is life. I fuss over my plants too!

So do I. However, fish do die a bit often, sometimes it's my fault,
sometimes it's their fault (suicide by jumping). I love aquaria because
it gives me a chance to develop a tiny ecosystem that I try to make as
balanced as possible.

Thanks for all the indulgence in this subject. I mean, this is not exactly a
fast paced group! A little OT never hurt anyone, and we are talking about
plants. :)

Indeed. Plus folks can easily kill a thread they're not interested in.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Email me he

animaux 25-10-2003 10:32 PM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:38:46 GMT, Victor Martinez opined:

Wood makes a wonderful addition to a tank, plus it helps soften and
acidify our hard and alkaline water. You might want to boil the wood for
a few hours and then let it soak, weighted down until it no longer floats.

What about the larger pieces? Can I solarize them in the sun inside a clear
plastic bag with some water in it?

So do I. However, fish do die a bit often, sometimes it's my fault,
sometimes it's their fault (suicide by jumping). I love aquaria because
it gives me a chance to develop a tiny ecosystem that I try to make as
balanced as possible.

That's how I feel. We have more than sufficient room for the inch number of
fish we have. We could probably fit 75 more fish in there, but I'll only do
that if it's balanced. The pond outside seems to strike a balance with no help
from us, but the aquarium is a bit different. I will say it is ten times easier
to care for a large aquarium than it was for the 30 gal.

One other thing; while at Petsmart today I noticed they were selling dwarf mondo
(Ophiopogon) in the plant area. I was not aware it could be used as a water
plant. If it is, I would love to dig out a patch of the black dwarf mondo I
have and use that. Have you heard anything about this plant being submerged?

Indeed. Plus folks can easily kill a thread they're not interested in.

Oh that would be way too difficult. They'd much rather complain!

Victor Martinez 25-10-2003 10:32 PM

animaux wrote:
What about the larger pieces? Can I solarize them in the sun inside a clear
plastic bag with some water in it?

Or a large bucket or even in your pond!

from us, but the aquarium is a bit different. I will say it is ten times easier
to care for a large aquarium than it was for the 30 gal.

Indeed, the larger the tank the easier it is to maintain.

(Ophiopogon) in the plant area. I was not aware it could be used as a water
plant. If it is, I would love to dig out a patch of the black dwarf mondo I
have and use that. Have you heard anything about this plant being submerged?

They often sell it as such, but it's not a true aquatic plant. It will
survive for a while and then die.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

animaux 26-10-2003 02:32 AM

Where to find White Canadian Peat Moss

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 21:26:25 GMT, Victor Martinez opined:

They often sell it as such, but it's not a true aquatic plant. It will
survive for a while and then die.

Ophiopogon in an aquarium

Eh, that's what I thought.

Three months ago when we were going to buy this expensive set up, my SIL had a
55 gallon tank. She was going to give it to us because she didn't want it any
more. She has breeding chiclids (sp?) and, yadda, yadda, yadda, and her 10 year
old daughter freaked out because she loved the fish. Now that daughter has a
ginuea pig and doesn't want the fish any more. She just called and asked if we
want the tank. She would have saved us almost a thousand dollars!

Eh.

I love our tank. It really is our little indoor masterpiece. Our macaw loves
to sit and watch the fish for hours! So cute.

Victoria