Old 25-10-2003, 02:12 AM
J Kolenovsky

Default CEC - Austin

CEC:AUSTIN ENVIRONMENTAL NEWS UPDATE - 10/24/03

__________________________________________________ _______________________=

LOCAL
(1) Air quality plan puts responsibility on residents
(2) City releases carp to control hydrilla

THE WEEK'S EVENTS
(3) Kerr-maculture Design Course
(4) Haunted Trails
(5) Car Care For Clean Air
(6) TreeFolks Public Planting
(7) Seedling Giveaway
(8) Impact Conference

IN THE NEWS
(9) Austin American Statesman
(10) Austin Chronicle

__________________________________________________ _______________________=

LOCAL

(1) AIR QUALITY PLAN PUTS RESPONSIBILTY ON RESIDENTS
by Erika McDonald

On the heels of unusually high ozone days early this week, city
and county
leaders are now entering the final phase of a draft plan they say
will
improve air quality in the region.
"It's based on eight measures that are very likely going to be
implemented
here in Central Texas that are going to help with the air quality
problem,"
Deanna Altenhoff with the Central Texas Clean Air Force said.
The plan will consist of mandatory steps for Central Texas
residents
designed to reduce emissions from everyday activities like driving
or mowing
the lawn.
One likely step is testing vehicle emissions.
"The vehicles on the road are our largest source of pollution,"
Austin
Sustainability Officer Fred Blood said, "What we're looking at is
what we
call an OBD2, where we actually plug into the car's computer to see
if the
car's running the way it was designed. The cars that are older than
1996, we
have to test with what we call two speed idle, where they'll stick
some
probes in the exhaust pipe."
Blood said drivers may have to pay about $20 per year for the
emissions
testing if the plan is implemented.
Before the plan becomes final, the public will have a chance to
weigh in
on the new measures. The Clean Air Force is conducting a survey
about the
new measures on its web site at
http://webtools.nustats.com/cleanair.survey
"We=B9re looking for opinions on whether or not the public thinks
these
measures would be acceptable to them," Altenhoff said.
Area officials attributed ozone spikes on Monday and Tuesday to
weather
conditions. Clear, sunny skies, light winds and high temperatures
are prime
conditions for ozone formation. They also said air floating into the
region
from Houston was to blame.
The draft plan to improve air quality is scheduled for release in
January,
and a final plan is due out in April.

(2) CITY RELEASE CARP TO CONTROL HYDRILLA
Associated Press

About 1,000 sterile grass carp are swimming in Lake Austin to help
control
hydrilla. The additional fish were released into the lake Thursday
morning
by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.
City scientists say the Lake Austin hydrilla management plan is
working
even though the amount of hydrilla in the lake has grown from 124
acres in
May to 197 acres last month.
"Compared from year to year, we actually are seeing some decrease
in the
hydrilla, it's just not as steep as a decline as we would need to
see in
order not to put more fish in. So, the plan was designed, we're
following
the plan, everything's going well and we're in the right track,
we're just
not finished yet," city environmental scientist Mary Gilroy said.
The original plan called for nearly 2,000 carp to be released, but
partners in the plan decided to cut back to half that number.
The city has faced opposition to the carp-release plan in the
past.
Local fisherman say hydrilla is the perfect breeding ground for
bass. They
also are concerned that, in addition to the hydrilla, the carp will
also eat
the pond grass that's underneath. Bass also use the grass to spawn
and eat.
The TPWD will conduct surveys later this month and in November to
determine if more carp are needed.

__________________________________________________ _______________________=

THE WEEK=B9S EVENTS

(3) KERR-MACULTURE DESIGN COURSE

Date: Oct 23-Nov 6
Location: Quiet Valley Ranch, Kerrville
Time: Contact for details
Contact: Michael Ovsen (512) 799-2629

(4) HAUNTED TRAILS =

Date: Thursday-Saturday, Oct. 23-25
Location: Wild Basin Wilderness Preserve
Time: 7:15-11pm =

Contact: (512) 327-7622. Or http://www.wildbasin.org

(5) CAR CARE FOR CLEAN AIR

Date: Sat, Oct 25
Location: Highland Mall Parking Lot
Time: 10 am-2 pm
Contact: Austin Clean Air Force
http://www.cleanairforce.org/meetings/meetings.htm

(6) TREEFOLKS PUBLIC PLANTING

Date: Sat, Oct 25
Time: 9 am-12 pm
Location: Barton Springs Trailhead
Contact: Scott Harris, (512) 443-5323 or

(7) HALLOWEEN TRAIL

Date: Sun, Oct 26
Time: 2-5 pm
Location: Contact for details
Contact: (512) 476-5662

(8) SEEDLING GIVEAWAY

Date: Wed, Oct 29
Location: 9th and Congress
Time: 12 pm
Contact: Scott Harris, (512) 443-5323 or

(9) IMPACT CONFERENCE

Date: Nov 6-9
Location: UT McCombs School of Business
Time: Contact for details
Contact: Elizabeth Ross Lieberman,

__________________________________________________ _______________________=

IN THE NEWS

(9) Austin-American Statesman

CONTRACT MAY MEAN MORE WATER FOR AUSTIN, 10/24/03
New city contract will expand the Ullrich Water Treatment Plant,
adding 60
million gallons of water a day to Austin's current capacity of 260
million
gallons.

http://www.statesman.com/metrostate/...ions/friday/m=
et
ro_state_f389fc5023bd60d50047.html

KRUSEE PUSHES COMMUTER RAIL PLANS, 10/24/03
Krusee has raised the possibility of carrying legislation to clear
the way
for a rail system without a public vote.

http://www.statesman.com/metrostate/...ions/friday/m=
et
ro_state_f389fc0123bd424a00d7.html

UTILITY OFFICIALS CONSIDER OPTIONS FOR BUSHY CREEK WATER PLANT,
10/23/03
Utility district officials facing furious homeowners and potential
lawsuits
might bury a water line under Great Oaks Drive instead of beside the
road.

http://www.statesman.com/williamson/...ions/thursday=
/a
wc_f369c214a4e441a100cd.html

WEST TEXAS WATER TALKS TO GO ON DESPITE SWELL OF OPPOSITION,
10/22/03
West Texas officials demand voice in state debate.

http://www.statesman.com/nation/cont.../wednesday/ne=
ws
_f369b21ba4e4214a0009.html

BIG BOX RETAIL RULE WEIGHED, 10/22/03
Austin City Council set to talk Thursday about restricting stores
over
Edwards Aquifer.

http://www.statesman.com/nation/cont.../wednesday/ne=
ws
_f369b2cba4e420820099.html

STATE HAS VETO IN CHARGING POLLUTERS, 10/19/03
Business groups back law taking power from local prosecutors.

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...unday/news_f3=
29
7337e5cf10501002.html?urac=3Dn&urvf=3D106676633022 10.7605203240799416

(10) Austin Chronicle

WAL-MART, LOEWS AND THEIR FRINDS AND FOES, 10/24/03
The big-box debate made its formal debut at City Council Thursday.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/issue...ls_feature4.h=
tm

DON=B9T CROSS PHIL, 10/23/03
Gramm opposes construction of transmission line in west Bexar
County-but
why?

http://www.austinchronicle.com/issue...ls_naked8.htm=

__________________________________________________ _______________________=

ABOUT THIS PUBLICATION

CEC Environmental News Update is a weekly publication by the
Citizens'
Environmental Coalition, a 501(c)3 dedicated to fostering dialogue,
education and collaboration about environmental issues in the
Houston/Galveston and Austin regions. Visit the CEC online at
http://www.cechouston.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe email
To suggest items for inclusion, or if you have news tips or story
ideas send
your request via e-mail to Erika McDonald at .

Phone: (713) 524-4232
Fax: (713) 524-3311

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP