Old 05-11-2003, 04:32 AM
Leslie

Default Bur Oak acorns....

Hello all,

Our troop will be needing Bur oak acorns for a project. I was
wondering if any of you knew where some of the trees were growing or
if you had some acorns and caps you might be willing to share.Any lead
is appreciated! I will of course travel to pick them up or pay for
postage. I thank you in advance.
Warmly,
Leslie
Old 05-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Victor Martinez

If you are in the city, my neighbor on Finley Dr and Bisset (near Mopac
and 2222) has the largest bur oak I've ever seen. I'm sure he'll be glad
to share acorns with you.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 05-11-2003, 08:02 PM
L & S

Sorry to change the subject just a tad...

but we have a Burr Oak tree that has been in the ground for almost 5 years
and it has never produced an acorn. Wrong sex tree? Too many squirrels -
who coincidentally ate ALL the pecans off our little tree again this
year.... sigh....? Any advice appreciated. Sarah
om...

Old 05-11-2003, 08:13 PM
Sew-Sew Lady

I thought I remembered something about this, and just checked on a website,
that oak trees can start producing acorns at the age of 20, and some don't
start until they are 50 years old. Unless there is something special about
the Burr Oaks, it may be a very long time before you have acorns.

gy.com...

Old 05-11-2003, 10:22 PM
L & S

Oh, thank you!
I'm glad to know it's not something wrong with my favorite tree.
Thanks for researching it for me. I really appreciate your efforts! S.
"Sew-Sew Lady" wrote in message
I thought I remembered something about this, and just checked on a

website,
that oak trees can start producing acorns at the age of 20, and some don't
start until they are 50 years old. Unless there is something special

about
the Burr Oaks, it may be a very long time before you have acorns.

gy.com...

Old 06-11-2003, 10:42 PM
Flojo

Trap some of those fluffy tailed boogers and re-locate them to Zilker area,
or some acorn rich public park. You can rent a trap from many places, just
ask around.

Flojo

Old 10-11-2003, 02:32 AM
Steve Ravet

If you're in the far northern reaches, you can come by Pfluger park in
Pflugerville. The parking lot near the pool has plenty of bur oaks, I
picked up about 20 last year this time. This is the big city park,
enter off Railroad, just north of the light at Railroad and 1825/Pecan.

--steve

To answer the other question, the bur oaks around the pool don't look
like they're nearly 20 years old, and my sister has one that's not more
than 15, which has been producing acorns for years.

Leslie wrote:

Hello all,

Our troop will be needing Bur oak acorns for a project. I was
wondering if any of you knew where some of the trees were growing or
if you had some acorns and caps you might be willing to share.Any lead
is appreciated! I will of course travel to pick them up or pay for
postage. I thank you in advance.
Warmly,
Leslie

acorns, acorns, acorns.. how to pickup/get rid of them Sundar Narasimhan Gardening 10 18-11-2003 09:02 PM
Bur Oak acorns.... Leslie Texas 7 13-11-2003 01:13 PM
Moving Bur Oak seedling? V. N. Gardening 1 31-07-2003 01:32 AM
why human civilization is based on the staples of wheat, rice, potatoes? Why not oak acorns? Cereoid+10 Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 12:38 PM
why human civilization is based on the staples of wheat, rice, potatoes? Why not oak acorns? Christopher Green Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 12:37 PM