Old 12-11-2003, 06:13 PM
Gene

Default URGENT!!! - need advice re. greenhouse 6mil poly

Problem: We are about to stretch 6mil poly film
over a new 24'x72' greenhouse. I am afraid that I will "tear"
the 6mil poly film on a burr that may be on the 2" galvanized
steel hoops.

My thoughts are to "cover" the edge of the 2" hoops
that touch the 6mil poly with something like a run of
Duct-Tape.

Question: That type of tape (or other) would be best to use?
I am afraid that the Duct-Tape will dry out & become useless in
a short time. I am concerned that other tapes may have a chemical
reaction to the poly. 3M tech-support did not have a clue as to
what to use.

Please email me if you have an answer:-)

THANKS a million in advance!!!!

Gene
Briggs, TX
--
eMail:

Old 12-11-2003, 07:22 PM
The Q

"Gene" wrote in message
Problem: We are about to stretch 6mil poly film
over a new 24'x72' greenhouse. I am afraid that I will "tear"
the 6mil poly film on a burr that may be on the 2" galvanized
steel hoops.

My thoughts are to "cover" the edge of the 2" hoops
that touch the 6mil poly with something like a run of
Duct-Tape.

Question: That type of tape (or other) would be best to use?
I am afraid that the Duct-Tape will dry out & become useless in
a short time. I am concerned that other tapes may have a chemical
reaction to the poly. 3M tech-support did not have a clue as to
what to use.

Please email me if you have an answer:-)

THANKS a million in advance!!!!

Gene
Briggs, TX
--
eMail:

You should be able to get what we call in the UK "hot spot tape", it's

specifically designed for use on the hoops of what we call polytunnels. a
polytunnel supplier in the states should be able to supply...
The Q

Old 12-11-2003, 07:43 PM
Dwight Sipler

The Q wrote:

You should be able to get what we call in the UK "hot spot tape", it's
specifically designed for use on the hoops of what we call polytunnels. a
polytunnel supplier in the states should be able to supply...

I use duct tape because it's generally what I have on hand at the
moment. The tape will dry out eventually, but it doesn't seem to be a
problem because by that time the plastic is fairly static, i.e. not
moving across the frame (except slight motions caused by wind).

The plastic film repair tape is another option, but it's more expensive.

Go with what you have.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:22 PM
animaux

Use Poly Patching Tape sold he

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/plastic.shtml

It's down toward the lower part of the page. I use it for my greenhouse. They
also sell clear duct tape at the box stores. I've used that too, and it is fine
for one season.

Victoria

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:10:57 -0600, "Gene" opined: