GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Suggest a vine that smells nice most of the year? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/56061-suggest-vine-smells-nice-most-year.html)

JJ 19-03-2004 09:05 AM

Suggest a vine that smells nice most of the year?

Hi all,

I have Lady Banks Roses, Halls Honeysuckle, Carolina Jasmine. They
are nice enough but I am looking for a vine that has a nice fragrance
for as many seasons as possible.

I'm figuring on planting on both sides of the house near big screen
doors and windows the breeze will carry it inside. I may just have
to make do with some Arabian Jasmine in planters.

Jay

RoyDMercer 19-03-2004 07:05 PM

"JJ" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have Lady Banks Roses, Halls Honeysuckle, Carolina Jasmine. They
are nice enough but I am looking for a vine that has a nice fragrance
for as many seasons as possible.

I'm figuring on planting on both sides of the house near big screen
doors and windows the breeze will carry it inside. I may just have
to make do with some Arabian Jasmine in planters.

Does it have to be a vine? Have you considered using window boxes? If you
like Jasmine, some herbs planted in a window box will definately bring in
some nice fragrances all season.

JJ 19-03-2004 07:47 PM

"RoyDMercer" wrote:

Does it have to be a vine? Have you considered using window boxes? If you
like Jasmine, some herbs planted in a window box will definately bring in
some nice fragrances all season.

Good Day Mr Mercer!

I just want to say I am a fan and it is quite an honor to receive a
reply from you. wink

I'd prefer a vine - you see when I made the post last night I wasn't
sure how to spell the plural of "trellis" so I didn't mention it.

I still am not sure (guessing trelli) so instead I shall state that I
have a trellis in the front and another trellis in the back.

Please don't tell me I have also spelt trellis incorrectly.

Thank you very very much

Jay, a pretty big guy

escapee 22-03-2004 01:44 PM

Suggest a vine that smells nice most of the year?

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 08:38:29 GMT, (JJ) opined:

Hi all,

I have Lady Banks Roses, Halls Honeysuckle, Carolina Jasmine. They
are nice enough but I am looking for a vine that has a nice fragrance
for as many seasons as possible.

I'm figuring on planting on both sides of the house near big screen
doors and windows the breeze will carry it inside. I may just have
to make do with some Arabian Jasmine in planters.

Jay

How about a repeat bloomer Antique rose? I have 'Sombruiel' and it repeats if I
deadhead and has delicious scent. I believe 'Iceburg' is another which repeat
blooms all summer and throughout the year. It too is a climber. It comes as a
shrub, also.

Mr. Chaos 007 26-03-2004 07:34 PM

Suggest a vine that smells nice most of the year?

I love the Don Juan Red Rose. Blooms for a long time on and off and it
is a climber. Easy to find at like Home Despot.

Other ones that I like. Actually one of the best smelling plants period
is the Aztec Tobacco or also called Jasmine Scented Tobacco.
Unbelievable scent that fills the house. Not a climber though.

Also I have some very intense Poet's Jasmine and Perfume Jasmine. Really
nice scent and slower growing Jasmines and are a viney type, but not
cold hardy.

Also Passion flower is a very easy to grow and fragrant vine, got lots
of those. It is cold hardy

Come check us out. A very unique place.

Dave@
Gardens of the Ancients Herb Emporium and Nursery
www.gardensoftheancients.com
512-272-9062

JJ 06-04-2004 09:31 PM

Suggest a vine that smells nice most of the year?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I think you all gave me the last little nudge I needed to try roses.

Jay