Old 19-03-2004, 09:05 AM
JJ

Default Suggest a vine that smells nice most of the year?

Hi all,

I have Lady Banks Roses, Halls Honeysuckle, Carolina Jasmine. They
are nice enough but I am looking for a vine that has a nice fragrance
for as many seasons as possible.

I'm figuring on planting on both sides of the house near big screen
doors and windows the breeze will carry it inside. I may just have
to make do with some Arabian Jasmine in planters.

Jay
Old 19-03-2004, 07:05 PM
RoyDMercer

"JJ" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have Lady Banks Roses, Halls Honeysuckle, Carolina Jasmine. They
are nice enough but I am looking for a vine that has a nice fragrance
for as many seasons as possible.

I'm figuring on planting on both sides of the house near big screen
doors and windows the breeze will carry it inside. I may just have
to make do with some Arabian Jasmine in planters.

Does it have to be a vine? Have you considered using window boxes? If you
like Jasmine, some herbs planted in a window box will definately bring in
some nice fragrances all season.

Old 19-03-2004, 07:47 PM
JJ

"RoyDMercer" wrote:

Does it have to be a vine? Have you considered using window boxes? If you
like Jasmine, some herbs planted in a window box will definately bring in
some nice fragrances all season.

Good Day Mr Mercer!

I just want to say I am a fan and it is quite an honor to receive a
reply from you. wink

I'd prefer a vine - you see when I made the post last night I wasn't
sure how to spell the plural of "trellis" so I didn't mention it.

I still am not sure (guessing trelli) so instead I shall state that I
have a trellis in the front and another trellis in the back.

Please don't tell me I have also spelt trellis incorrectly.

Thank you very very much

Jay, a pretty big guy
Old 26-03-2004, 07:34 PM
Mr. Chaos 007

I love the Don Juan Red Rose. Blooms for a long time on and off and it
is a climber. Easy to find at like Home Despot.

Other ones that I like. Actually one of the best smelling plants period
is the Aztec Tobacco or also called Jasmine Scented Tobacco.
Unbelievable scent that fills the house. Not a climber though.

Also I have some very intense Poet's Jasmine and Perfume Jasmine. Really
nice scent and slower growing Jasmines and are a viney type, but not
cold hardy.

Also Passion flower is a very easy to grow and fragrant vine, got lots
of those. It is cold hardy

Come check us out. A very unique place.

Dave@
Gardens of the Ancients Herb Emporium and Nursery
www.gardensoftheancients.com
512-272-9062

Old 06-04-2004, 09:31 PM
JJ

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I think you all gave me the last little nudge I needed to try roses.

Jay
Old 06-04-2004, 09:31 PM
JJ