GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Composting Live Oak leaves (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/57245-composting-live-oak-leaves.html)

Scott Harper 29-03-2004 09:42 PM

Composting Live Oak leaves

Does anyone have any recommendations or anectodes related to composting
live oak leaves?

I have tons of them in my yard right now, and it would be nice to use
them for something other than a campfire... :)

But I've piled these up before, and they just don't seem to break down.
Granted, I haven't tended much to them, in the way of turning, etc. But
I have a couple friends who generally have the same experience.

So what's the word from the wise gardeners out there? Can live oak
leaves be effectively composted? Any special tricks?

thanks
scott

Elliot Richmond 29-03-2004 10:04 PM

Composting Live Oak leaves

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 20:36:53 GMT, c (Scott
Harper) wrote:

So what's the word from the wise gardeners out there? Can live oak
leaves be effectively composted? Any special tricks?

Yes, they make excellent compost and are a valuable addition to the
mix. What you should do is what you said you haven't been doing,
turn, stir, mix. Also, keep them moist. If you have some way to shred
the leaves (such as a mulching mower) they will compost faster.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor

Scott Harper 29-03-2004 10:12 PM

Composting Live Oak leaves

Harper) wrote:

So what's the word from the wise gardeners out there? Can live oak
leaves be effectively composted? Any special tricks?

Yes, they make excellent compost and are a valuable addition to the
mix. What you should do is what you said you haven't been doing,
turn, stir, mix. Also, keep them moist. If you have some way to shred
the leaves (such as a mulching mower) they will compost faster.

Okay, sounds good. One clarification regarding them being a "valuable
addition to the mix"... The oak leaves would *be* the mix, at least
somewhere over 90% of it. I leave the grass clippings where they
fall... I could start adding veggie kitchen scraps, but that still
wouldn't amount to much.

scott

cat daddy 30-03-2004 12:34 AM

Composting Live Oak leaves

"Scott Harper" wrote in message
In article , Elliot Richmond

Harper) wrote:

So what's the word from the wise gardeners out there? Can live oak
leaves be effectively composted? Any special tricks?

Yes, they make excellent compost and are a valuable addition to the
mix. What you should do is what you said you haven't been doing,
turn, stir, mix. Also, keep them moist. If you have some way to shred
the leaves (such as a mulching mower) they will compost faster.

Okay, sounds good. One clarification regarding them being a "valuable
addition to the mix"... The oak leaves would *be* the mix, at least
somewhere over 90% of it. I leave the grass clippings where they
fall... I could start adding veggie kitchen scraps, but that still
wouldn't amount to much.

My experience was that it took two years to compost (no turning and they
are all but waterproof) and when I spread it out on the "lawn", it killed
it. I blame the tannin in the oak leaves...
So, mulch mowing or shredding is vital and perhaps covering in plastic to
retain moisture. My "starter fuel" is water-soaked rabbit food pellets
(alfalfa) for the nitrogen and I get a bag at Callahan's for $5.00. Good
luck....

Scott Harper 30-03-2004 12:51 AM

Composting Live Oak leaves

In article , "cat daddy" wrote:

My experience was that it took two years to compost (no turning and they
are all but waterproof) and when I spread it out on the "lawn", it killed
it. I blame the tannin in the oak leaves...

When it gets fully composted, does the tannin go away? Or is this going
to be a continuing problem with compost that is nearly 100% oak leaves?

scott

cat daddy 30-03-2004 01:10 AM

Composting Live Oak leaves

"Scott Harper" wrote in message
In article , "cat daddy"

wrote:

My experience was that it took two years to compost (no turning and

they
are all but waterproof) and when I spread it out on the "lawn", it killed
it. I blame the tannin in the oak leaves...

When it gets fully composted, does the tannin go away? Or is this going
to be a continuing problem with compost that is nearly 100% oak leaves?

It didn't with my one experience, but don't take my word for it. I have
no oak trees, so I assume what grows in a yard with oak trees would be
accustomed to it.
My neighbour has oaks and a St. Augustine lawn under them. The grass is
naturally thinner near the base. I've read this is due to the sunlight
blocking of oaks, as well as the tannin that inhibits competitors for its
babies, but he rakes his up regularly.
I will take everyone's leaves for my compost pile (usually pecan), but
not my neighbour's oak leaves......... Maybe someone with actual successful
experience with oak leaf composting will chime in...

Gary Brady 30-03-2004 01:34 AM

Composting Live Oak leaves

So what's the word from the wise gardeners out there? Can live oak
leaves be effectively composted? Any special tricks?

Time, time, time. They'll get there eventually. I typically just mow my
leaves back into the lawn.
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Texensis 30-03-2004 02:33 AM

Composting Live Oak leaves

"Scott Harper" wrote in message
| Does anyone have any recommendations or anectodes related to
composting
| live oak leaves?
|
| I have tons of them in my yard right now, and it would be nice to
use
| them for something other than a campfire... :)
|
| But I've piled these up before, and they just don't seem to break
down.
| Granted, I haven't tended much to them, in the way of turning, etc.
But
| I have a couple friends who generally have the same experience.
|
| So what's the word from the wise gardeners out there? Can live oak
| leaves be effectively composted? Any special tricks?
|
| thanks
| scott

They go into a chickenwire bin along with the non-green grass that
comes along with raking them. When the St. Augustine is edged with one
of those diamond-blade long-handled tools from Sears or just with
edging shears, it goes into the pile also, alone with things like
seeds from winter squash, potato peels, old potatoes, carrot tops,
beet skins, asparagus bottums, rotten tomatoes, etc.. Invariably, it
seems, the compost bin is ornamented by sprouts from the ancient
potatoes, and sometimes tomato or squash volunteers, and we even
sometimes get new Irish potatoes. We always have four o'clocks growing
on top of the pile because their seeds get raked up with the leaves.
Some would say that the pile isn't hot enough if things grow in it,
but everything breaks down fine. A little water goes into the top of
the pile if it hasn't rained lately. It's never turned. The greatest
part of the bin is filled with oak leaves, and it seems to take about
six months at most to break down. Nothing about the leaves kills
anything. St. Augustine grows right up to the trunks of the live oaks
wherever they are.

B.Server 30-03-2004 03:58 AM

Composting Live Oak leaves

Harper) wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations or anectodes related to composting
live oak leaves?

[...]

I have Spanish Oak, pecan, live oak, ash and elm leaves in my yard.
For the most part, I compost all of them, but since the live oak leave
sometimes fall after I have begun mowing again, they often just get
mulched into the grass. I have used a few cubic yards of my neighbors
live oak leaves a thick mulch on some beds. It works pretty well to
retain moisture and prevent weeds, but it tends to repel anything but
a prolonged watering.

Brian Anderson 30-03-2004 04:59 AM

Composting Live Oak leaves

Scott Harper wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations or anectodes related to composting
live oak leaves?

I tried the whole compost heap thing about 14 years ago, but
my "compost heap" was really just a huge pile of oak leaves
with some grass cuttings thrown in. It never broke down, but
did provide a home for about a gazillion varieties of
cockroach and lots of other creepy things. I found that out
by surprise one night I started bagging it up to get rid of
it. They say that every year around twilight on the
anniversary of that date you can still hear my screams echoing
through the neighborhood...

Katra 30-03-2004 08:04 AM

Composting Live Oak leaves

In article ,
c (Scott Harper) wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations or anectodes related to composting
live oak leaves?

I have tons of them in my yard right now, and it would be nice to use
them for something other than a campfire... :)

But I've piled these up before, and they just don't seem to break down.
Granted, I haven't tended much to them, in the way of turning, etc. But
I have a couple friends who generally have the same experience.

So what's the word from the wise gardeners out there? Can live oak
leaves be effectively composted? Any special tricks?

thanks
scott

Bag them in black bags, water then well, tie the bags up and leave them
in the sun...

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

"There are many intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by cats! -- Asimov

Katra 30-03-2004 08:04 AM

Composting Live Oak leaves

In article ,
c (Scott Harper) wrote:

In article , Elliot Richmond
wrote:
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 20:36:53 GMT,
c (Scott
Harper) wrote:

So what's the word from the wise gardeners out there? Can live oak
leaves be effectively composted? Any special tricks?

Yes, they make excellent compost and are a valuable addition to the
mix. What you should do is what you said you haven't been doing,
turn, stir, mix. Also, keep them moist. If you have some way to shred
the leaves (such as a mulching mower) they will compost faster.

Okay, sounds good. One clarification regarding them being a "valuable
addition to the mix"... The oak leaves would *be* the mix, at least
somewhere over 90% of it. I leave the grass clippings where they
fall... I could start adding veggie kitchen scraps, but that still
wouldn't amount to much.

scott

Too bad you don't have chickens. ;-)
I'll pile them in the henhouse sometimes, compost in no time at all!

K.

deepeddygirl 30-03-2004 04:42 PM

Composting Live Oak leaves

For how long please?

Scott Harper 30-03-2004 05:02 PM

Composting Live Oak leaves

In article , OSPAM (Gary Brady) wrote:
So what's the word from the wise gardeners out there? Can live oak
leaves be effectively composted? Any special tricks?

Time, time, time. They'll get there eventually. I typically just mow my
leaves back into the lawn.

I prefer to just mow them back in, but under my larger stands the leaves
get so thick that they never "mow back in" for the whole summer. Seems
like once every two years or so I need to remove (some of) them.

scott