Old 29-03-2004, 09:42 PM
Scott Harper

Default Composting Live Oak leaves

Does anyone have any recommendations or anectodes related to composting
live oak leaves?

I have tons of them in my yard right now, and it would be nice to use
them for something other than a campfire...

But I've piled these up before, and they just don't seem to break down.
Granted, I haven't tended much to them, in the way of turning, etc. But
I have a couple friends who generally have the same experience.

So what's the word from the wise gardeners out there? Can live oak
leaves be effectively composted? Any special tricks?

thanks
scott
Old 30-03-2004, 12:51 AM
Scott Harper

In article , "cat daddy" wrote:

My experience was that it took two years to compost (no turning and they
are all but waterproof) and when I spread it out on the "lawn", it killed
it. I blame the tannin in the oak leaves...

When it gets fully composted, does the tannin go away? Or is this going
to be a continuing problem with compost that is nearly 100% oak leaves?

scott

Old 30-03-2004, 01:10 AM
cat daddy

"Scott Harper" wrote in message
In article , "cat daddy"

wrote:

My experience was that it took two years to compost (no turning and

they
are all but waterproof) and when I spread it out on the "lawn", it killed
it. I blame the tannin in the oak leaves...

When it gets fully composted, does the tannin go away? Or is this going
to be a continuing problem with compost that is nearly 100% oak leaves?

It didn't with my one experience, but don't take my word for it. I have
no oak trees, so I assume what grows in a yard with oak trees would be
accustomed to it.
My neighbour has oaks and a St. Augustine lawn under them. The grass is
naturally thinner near the base. I've read this is due to the sunlight
blocking of oaks, as well as the tannin that inhibits competitors for its
babies, but he rakes his up regularly.
I will take everyone's leaves for my compost pile (usually pecan), but
not my neighbour's oak leaves......... Maybe someone with actual successful
experience with oak leaf composting will chime in...

Old 30-03-2004, 01:34 AM
Gary Brady

So what's the word from the wise gardeners out there? Can live oak
leaves be effectively composted? Any special tricks?

Time, time, time. They'll get there eventually. I typically just mow my
leaves back into the lawn.
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Old 30-03-2004, 02:33 AM
Texensis

"Scott Harper" wrote in message
| Does anyone have any recommendations or anectodes related to
composting
| live oak leaves?
|
| I have tons of them in my yard right now, and it would be nice to
use
| them for something other than a campfire...
|
| But I've piled these up before, and they just don't seem to break
down.
| Granted, I haven't tended much to them, in the way of turning, etc.
But
| I have a couple friends who generally have the same experience.
|
| So what's the word from the wise gardeners out there? Can live oak
| leaves be effectively composted? Any special tricks?
|
| thanks
| scott

They go into a chickenwire bin along with the non-green grass that
comes along with raking them. When the St. Augustine is edged with one
of those diamond-blade long-handled tools from Sears or just with
edging shears, it goes into the pile also, alone with things like
seeds from winter squash, potato peels, old potatoes, carrot tops,
beet skins, asparagus bottums, rotten tomatoes, etc.. Invariably, it
seems, the compost bin is ornamented by sprouts from the ancient
potatoes, and sometimes tomato or squash volunteers, and we even
sometimes get new Irish potatoes. We always have four o'clocks growing
on top of the pile because their seeds get raked up with the leaves.
Some would say that the pile isn't hot enough if things grow in it,
but everything breaks down fine. A little water goes into the top of
the pile if it hasn't rained lately. It's never turned. The greatest
part of the bin is filled with oak leaves, and it seems to take about
six months at most to break down. Nothing about the leaves kills
anything. St. Augustine grows right up to the trunks of the live oaks
wherever they are.

Old 30-03-2004, 04:59 AM
Brian Anderson

Scott Harper wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations or anectodes related to composting
live oak leaves?

I tried the whole compost heap thing about 14 years ago, but
my "compost heap" was really just a huge pile of oak leaves
with some grass cuttings thrown in. It never broke down, but
did provide a home for about a gazillion varieties of
cockroach and lots of other creepy things. I found that out
by surprise one night I started bagging it up to get rid of
it. They say that every year around twilight on the
anniversary of that date you can still hear my screams echoing
through the neighborhood...

Old 30-03-2004, 04:42 PM
deepeddygirl

For how long please?

Katra wrote:

Bag them in black bags, water then well, tie the bags up and leave them
in the sun...

K.