Old 23-06-2004, 07:07 PM
jojo

Default trimming live oak trees

Hi,
I have several small live oak trees that are very bushy and have very low
small branches.
Is it ok to clean these up a bit this time of year? What is the proper
strategy for trimming live oaks.
I have heard to trim only branches growing down or on the underside of
limbs.
I searched to web, but could not find any instruction for this.
Thanks,
jojo

Old 25-06-2004, 06:09 AM
Babberney

jojo,
Yes, now is the time. The preferred times to prune oaks in Austin are
during the hottest time of year and the coldest. This generally leads
to a recommendation of between Dec.1 and Valentine's, and between June
1 and Sept 30. Those are ballpark numbers. Obviously, there are
years when the windows could be bigger or smaller. The reason for
restricted pruning times is to prevent spread of oak wilt. During
mild weather, the fungus that causes the disease, the insects that
carry spores, and the trees are all more active. In reality, most
tree companies I know about prune year-round, and if you're careful
(clean tools, make proper cuts, paint wounds immediately) that's
probably not a significant risk (I've never heard of a tree
contracting oak wilt from my pruning in over ten years, nor have I
heard a case positively attributed to spread by pruning, though such
positive attribution would be difficult to come by, at best). Still,
now is a better time than in the autumn or spring.

When pruning, I often remove down-growing branches as you describe
where low tips are causing problems, but there is no hard rule that
says you must do that--it simply encourages the trees to grow in the
preferred direction. The big point to learn is how to make a proper
branch-collar cut. Learn how at www.treesaregood.com and there you
will also find lots of other good info on proper tree care. Once you
know how to do it, cut off any branches that rub against another part
of the tree, anything dead or broken, and low tips that poke you or
threaten to damage the house or car. Avoid removing other green
tissue ("bushy" is good for a young tree, as it means better branch
taper and thus more strength) if you can. I know people have come to
expect a certain look when they see live oaks, but in general I think
we'd all be happier if we learned to appreciate how things are rather
than trying to make them something different. Scrubby trees are
building energy reserves and root systems now so they will be able to
put on and support new growth later.

After you cut branches, paint the wound. This rulewon't turn up in
most pruning recommendations because it actually is not good for the
trees, but we do it to reduce the chance of spreading oaks wilt (not
really very common in most of the country, so not mentioned). You can
buy "pruning sealer" products, but don't bother. The goal is not to
seal the wound; you just want to change the way it smells so it will
be less attractive to insects. I use a rather expensive latex
(water-based) spray paint, but most guys I know use the 99c/can stuff
from the big box stores. Again, it's probably a small difference
either way, but I use the less toxic stuff on principle (and because I
end up inhaling a fair amount of the stuff while working with it).
This is a rule for oaks only; don't paint any other species unless you
strongly prefer the look of painted wounds over nature's way.

good luck,
Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX-0236

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:32:32 GMT, "jojo"
wrote:

Hi,
I have several small live oak trees that are very bushy and have very low
small branches.
Is it ok to clean these up a bit this time of year? What is the proper
strategy for trimming live oaks.
I have heard to trim only branches growing down or on the underside of
limbs.
I searched to web, but could not find any instruction for this.
Thanks,
jojo

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/

Question on trimming Live Oaks Bob-tx Texas 2 23-07-2010 08:38 PM
Buy Live Fish Live Plants Live Food Online In Canada H2O Aquatic Solutions Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 10-12-2004 01:14 AM
Red oak size and trimming Stuart E. Weiner Gardening 2 19-10-2003 02:42 PM
Live Oak Questions... Hombre Texas 4 18-03-2003 05:32 PM
Live Oak problems????? Brian L Gautreau Plant Science 2 21-02-2003 10:07 PM