Old 08-09-2004, 11:34 PM
Robert Alexander

Default Question deer, critter fencing around garden

I'm contemplating using standard chain link fence that's 6 feet high and
it's my understanding that the deer won't go over it. Correct?

The garden plot will probably end up being roughly 30 feet by 30 feet.

I'm guessing I'll have to supplement the standard chain link at the bottom
to keep rabbits out.

How fine mesh, chicken wire would you recommend and how high up? 2 feet? I
know you're supposed to put a barrier of sorts on the ground outside the
perimeter to keep the critters from digging their way in.

Any other recommendations on keeping the critters out most appreciated.

thanks in advance,

mr. bob

Old 09-09-2004, 03:06 AM
Gary Brady

Judging from the way deer go over my 4' fence, I would doubt that 6' will
keep them out. My understanding is that an 8' fence is deerproof. Maybe
others could weigh in on this as well.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Old 09-09-2004, 02:52 PM
Mike Pav

We recently put in a 6 foot game fence around a portion of our property. It
has completely stopped deer access. But, the effectiveness of a fence
depends on the terrain. Our fence is on sloping terrain that is moderately
covered with cedar and oak. This prevents deer from getting a running
start. The idea of a deer fence (under 8') is to break the deer of their
roaming habit. There are enough other unfenced lots in our area that the
deer simply chose an easier meal location, rather than attempt to jump the
fence. We no longer see deer anywhere near our house, so it appears that
they have chosen different roaming paths.

One thing that helps to deter a jumping deer is to have a horizontal rail at
the top of the fence. Ours is a 6 foot high no-climb horse wire fence with
three 2x6 rails, one of which is at the top of the horse wire.

The fencing folks that we talked to all agreed that an 8' fence is required
to keep deer in (as if you were raising them), but a 6' fence will keep them
out as long as the terrain is difficult and there are other more accessible
grazing locations nearby.

Hope this helps.

Mike P

hlink.net...

Old 09-09-2004, 08:04 PM
Andyd

Agreed. I have a 6' iron fence that does keep the deer out
completely. Much of it borders the driveway, and I imagine they don't
like jumping off of the asphalt. Elsewhere it is sloping and tough
for them to get a run at it. And there are just too many other places
to roam. I think 4' is just way too short, I would guess that is
little deterrent.

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 13:52:55 GMT, "Mike Pav" wrote:

[...]

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
thlink.net...
[...]

Deer Drape or fencing? Joy Hardie Gardening 0 03-06-2004 01:02 PM
electric deer fencing Myrmecodia Gardening 7 18-04-2004 07:12 PM
Deer Fencing JD North Carolina 0 06-02-2004 05:06 AM
local benner-type deer fencing available? Jane Peppler North Carolina 1 29-05-2003 05:23 AM
AD: Handy fencing tool for tightening/ maintaining wire fences, trellis wires, deer stand wires, et C&C Fencing Supply sci.agriculture 0 06-02-2003 01:45 AM