GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   cedar elm (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/83848-cedar-elm.html)

Therasa 20-09-2004 02:48 PM

cedar elm

I have lots of orange and dead brown leaves on my cedar elm. Any idea the
cause?
Also, when is best to prune this tree?

escapee 20-09-2004 04:01 PM

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:48:14 GMT, "Therasa" opined:

I have lots of orange and dead brown leaves on my cedar elm. Any idea the
cause?
Also, when is best to prune this tree?

I do also. I think it's normal for this time of year. I prune mine when it is
dormant. Mine are saplings...or yearlings, as it were.

Dewitt 20-09-2004 04:15 PM

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:01:40 GMT, escapee
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:48:14 GMT, "Therasa" opined:

I have lots of orange and dead brown leaves on my cedar elm. Any idea the
cause?
Also, when is best to prune this tree?

I do also. I think it's normal for this time of year. I prune mine when it is
dormant. Mine are saplings...or yearlings, as it were.

It's normal. Some years (like this one) the leaves on mine start
yellowing in the last half of August. Pruning when it's dormant is
probably best, but light pruning can be done at any time.

deg

Tex John 21-09-2004 07:47 PM

Yeppers - that Austin multiple growing season thing...Spring and Fall. With
such a mild summer, tho, it took longer for the trees to let the Spring
leaves start dying off.

John

MrChaos007 23-09-2004 11:57 PM

Therasa wrote:
I have lots of orange and dead brown leaves on my cedar elm. Any idea the
cause?
Also, when is best to prune this tree?

Probably just the hot and dry we had this September. As long as the wood
still is flexible and alive, I suspect they will be fine.

Dave
wwww.gardensoftheancients.com