Old 27-11-2004, 10:31 PM
Texensis

Default monarchs in the garden

The birds brought us two kinds of asclepias (milkweed wth small pods).
Migrating monarchs were around in the yard earlier this fall. Last
week there were two monarch caterpillars consuming the milkweed
leaves. Thursday there was a chrysalis, a very beautiful object,
bright and shiny green with a half-ring of golden irridescent dots
around the top of the cylindrical part. I had never before seen a
monarch chrysalis and on the WWW found no images that do it justice.
Has anybody else seen these caterpillars and their next stage around
here? .... wondering

p.s. there are still zebra longwings and gulf fritillaries to be seen.

Old 28-11-2004, 10:04 PM
Gae Xavier

Texensis wrote:
The birds brought us two kinds of asclepias (milkweed wth small pods).
Migrating monarchs were around in the yard earlier this fall. Last
week there were two monarch caterpillars consuming the milkweed
leaves. Thursday there was a chrysalis, a very beautiful object,
bright and shiny green with a half-ring of golden irridescent dots
around the top of the cylindrical part. I had never before seen a
monarch chrysalis and on the WWW found no images that do it justice.
Has anybody else seen these caterpillars and their next stage around
here? .... wondering

p.s. there are still zebra longwings and gulf fritillaries to be seen.

Yes, the Zebras have almost eaten my passion vine to the nubs.

I saw a monarch yesterday, but no chrysalis like you describe.

I'll go look. My dragonflies are gone. I miss them!

Monarchs -- 4 of 4 Wolf Garden Photos 1 18-01-2007 03:32 PM
Monarchs -- 3 of 4 Wolf Garden Photos 0 18-01-2007 05:10 AM
Monarchs: 2 of 4 Wolf Garden Photos 0 18-01-2007 05:08 AM
Monarchs -- 1 of 4 Wolf Garden Photos 0 18-01-2007 05:07 AM
Monarchs in my milkweed! Gardening 4 08-05-2004 03:04 PM