Old 08-03-2005, 02:13 PM
God Bless Texas

Jean Staffen wrote:
I agree. I have a chihuahua I rescued from a puppymill. She has a tiny
brain, but a Texas-sized heart. She learned to pee in the proper place. My
mother was a psych nurse and her patients peed in the proper place. Takes
diligence and patience. BTW, my bad on my "busted" comment. Too hasty.
Sorry.

No, please don't apologize. Remember the nut-case that was posting the
really strange garden/pool/patio scenarios some months back? From
Australia, I seem to remember.

This may very well be a similar situation - we've had several
nursing/assisted living/psychiatric care types weigh in that this
doesn't seem like a common situation.

Maybe you called it correctly - the original poster has *not* responded
to any further questions or comments - maybe it was a troll, you were
the only one to recognize it, and the rest of us are the butt of the joke.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:40 PM
Cindy

I am the activity director at a nursing home that specializes in
psychiatric patients and we want to start a garden. The trouble is,
alot of them urinate whenever and wherever the want, including the
garden. I plan to keep most of the plant up high, but is there anything
I could plant in the ground or planters that might resist the high
concentrations of ammonia? Also, given my black thumb what are good,
tenacious outdoor plants. We are located in San Antonio. Any help would
be appreciated.

I don't know how a Texas gardening group is going to help you find plants
for the UK.
Perhaps you should invest in a few ping pong paddles and spank their butts
when they pee in public.

Cindy

Old 08-03-2005, 11:45 PM
Cartlon Shew

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 12:17:26 -0600, Katra
wrote:

In article ,
sleavenson3 wrote:

I am the activity director at a nursing home that specializes in
psychiatric patients and we want to start a garden. The trouble is,
alot of them urinate whenever and wherever the want, including the
garden. I plan to keep most of the plant up high, but is there anything
I could plant in the ground or planters that might resist the high
concentrations of ammonia? Also, given my black thumb what are good,
tenacious outdoor plants. We are located in San Antonio. Any help would
be appreciated.

Hmmm... The question is, what plants would tolerate a high nitrogen soil?
Urine is going to be initially acidic, then turn alkaline as it breaks
down into ammonia, so I'm not sure that pH tolerance would be an issue.

Seriously, you may want to consider putting in an edible mushroom patch.
If you use a lot of good quality compost with a deep bed to absorb the
urine, some species thrive on more Nitrogen. Oyster mushrooms are one
and WILL grow up from a flat bed of wood compost They don't need a
verticle wall. Another good one would be King Stropharia.

Check this website for information, books, and spawn:

http://fungi.com/

HTH? :-)

They miss you over in adp
Old 09-03-2005, 08:05 AM
Katra

In article ,
Cartlon Shew wrote:

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 12:17:26 -0600, Katra
wrote:

In article ,
sleavenson3 wrote:

[...]

Cool, really? :-)
I dropped it due to too much political crossposting.

Might have to stick my nose in there and see what is happening.

Thanks for the message!
--
K.