Old 22-03-2005, 07:32 PM
dc

Default Periwinkles

I want to plant Periwinkle under a tree in my yard. Everything I read
about Periwinkle makes it sound like an ideal ground cover for under
trees: it likes shade and prefers prefers well-watered soil (my tree is
young, and I water it frequently). My problem is, I can't find
Periwinkle for sale around Austin. Does anyone know where to get it?

Old 22-03-2005, 08:11 PM
John

I saw some in the Home Depot in Bastrop a couple of weeks ago, over by the
other viney ground covers..Was mixed in with the Vinca I think...
John

news

Old 22-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Red

Are you talking about Vinca Minor , Periwinkle, Creeping Myrtle,
Flower-of-Death (Vinca minor)
See this link http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/174/index.html

Should be easy to find in any Home Depot. If you are in San Antonio come by
and I will give you enough to get you started. Grows great in the shade,
deer don't touch it, drought tolerant, spreads easily, only down side is
that there is a little worm that comes around about late July and defoliates
it, that can be controlled with BT but you have to be alert that it will
happen or one morning you will wake up to just vines. Fortunately it is not
fatal as the vine survives and just sets another set of leaves. I have
never had it freeze back here in San Antonio. There is a varigated form
which makes a nice mix with the standard green.

news

Old 23-03-2005, 05:54 AM
dc

Red wrote:
Are you talking about Vinca Minor , Periwinkle, Creeping Myrtle,
Flower-of-Death (Vinca minor)
See this link http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/174/index.html

Should be easy to find in any Home Depot. If you are in San Antonio come by
and I will give you enough to get you started. Grows great in the shade,
deer don't touch it, drought tolerant, spreads easily, only down side is
that there is a little worm that comes around about late July and defoliates
it, that can be controlled with BT but you have to be alert that it will
happen or one morning you will wake up to just vines. Fortunately it is not
fatal as the vine survives and just sets another set of leaves. I have
never had it freeze back here in San Antonio. There is a varigated form
which makes a nice mix with the standard green.

Thanks for the offer and the info. I'm in Austin, and I've tried 3
different Home Depots without any luck - I only asked at one, but guy
didn't know what a Periwinkle was. A small private nursery on north
Lamar in Austin said they carry Periwinkle, but get irregular shipments
from their supplier. I'm a little far from San Antonio, but thanks for
the offer anyway.

news

Old 23-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Red

You may want to look at Japanese Ardisia
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/60185/index.html.
"Excellent groundcover for shady areas; leaves yellow and subject to leaf
spot in full sun. Spreads by underground runners, so the use of a thick
layer of mulch aids in establishment. Displays red berries in the winter.
Several variegated selections available".

It is low growing, evergreen, has no problems once established. Like most
ground covers it will take a couple years to entirely fill in. It does need
a treatment of green sand to keep it really green and shiny. Has a small
white flower in the fall followed by a red berry. Needs water only in the
most severe drought periods. Bought mine at the HD.

"dc" wrote in message
. ..
Red wrote:
[...]

news

Old 03-04-2005, 09:57 PM
mrchaos007

I have them at Gardens of the Ancients Herb Emporium in NE Austin.

www.gardensoftheancients.com
272-9062

Old 04-04-2005, 01:47 AM
Cindy

"mrchaos007" wrote in message
I have them at Gardens of the Ancients Herb Emporium in NE Austin.

www.gardensoftheancients.com
272-9062

dc wrote:

The link won't work for me.