Old 14-04-2005, 09:20 PM
jhill

Default problem with irises

About a year ago, I transplanted several irises from Oklahoma to my home
close to Copperas Cove. They are in a raised bed, in compost on top of the
native soil. They seem to be doing ok, and are blooming, but several leaves
now have yellow streaks. Anyone know if the lack of some mineral in the
compost, or maybe an insect could cause these streaks? TIA

Old 14-04-2005, 11:27 PM

Somewhere I read that irises like well-drained areas. However, a small
stream runs through my camp in the woods,
near Black Bayou Lake and becomes a dry stream bed sometimes in drought
years. Irises I have planted along the
sides absolutely FLOURISH in the stream bed. Their bottoms are covered by
three or four inches of water for months at the time.

We collected a few small wild irises from the rocky shores of the Little
Missouri River, which is illegal, but they multiplied in pots, and increased
so prolifically I was able to return the favor to the river... by setting
out about
two dozen, so far, where the Little Missouri has washed out areas during
flash floods... so I not only obeyed the spirit of the law but, also, helped
more than I hurt.

When we go hiking, we take along plastic bags and pick up the litter other
people throw down along the trails. Little things like that are worth more
than just griping about people ripped off in life by not receiving the gift
of loving
nature ungarbaged, don't you agree. Griping about litter in the national
and state forests never accomplished anything. There is something about an
unlittered place that inspires some people not to throw something down... so
we try to help remove the excuse of "everybody else does it," by removing
some of the temptation.

"jhill" wrote in message
About a year ago, I transplanted several irises from Oklahoma to my home
close to Copperas Cove. They are in a raised bed, in compost on top of
the
native soil. They seem to be doing ok, and are blooming, but several
leaves
now have yellow streaks. Anyone know if the lack of some mineral in the
compost, or maybe an insect could cause these streaks? TIA

bearded irises blooming NOW PV North Carolina 4 05-11-2003 08:42 PM
irises in october in north dakota. larry Gardening 1 11-10-2003 11:42 PM
irises Raleighgirl North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:47 PM
Reblooming Irises have not started to grow - are they dead? :( BillC Gardening 5 26-04-2003 09:20 PM
irises Raleighgirl North Carolina 0 07-04-2003 05:33 PM