Old 08-08-2005, 08:50 PM
nambucca

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message
Here we are in one of the driest parts of the country with only 16 inches

of
rain in the 50 weeks up to two weeks ago, and our new ( 2 month old) oak
table and chairs are black with mould.

Any suggestions how to :

a) Get rid of it

b) Keep it away

Trevor

East Yorkshire

Our teak furniture was the same fdespite correctly oiling it etc .......i
scrubbed it with bleach and then have varnished the lot with 5 year
woodstain and varnish .......now it looks good

Old 08-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Martin Brown

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

The message
from "andrewpreece" contains these words:

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

Trevor Appleton wrote:

Here we are in one of the driest parts of the country with only 16

inches of

rain in the 50 weeks up to two weeks ago, and our new ( 2 month old) oak
table and chairs are black with mould.

Neat bleach works. Wear old clothes, keep pets and people away, and paint
every inch
with neat bleach. You may have to apply more than one coat. Best not to
apply in direct
sunlight as it dries the bleach out too quicky.

Only use the plain hypochlorite ones - some of them have added caustic soda.

I'd suggest copper sulphate solution.

That really isn't a good idea. Copper salts inhibit the organic
chemistry in wood that protects it from destructive rot fungi.

I can't see what is wrong with a pressure sprayer with pretty boring
non-anionic wetting agent (or non at all). I still do not understand how
someone can get their garden furniture that bad in so short a time. It
must be dripping in tree sap to get that amount of sooty mould so quickly.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 09-08-2005, 08:19 AM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 18:54:41 +0100, "Trevor Appleton"
wrote:

Nb: A Grolsch bottle makes an ideal container for this mixture!

Whats 'A Grolsch bottle '?

It's a lager bottle. Instead of a cap it has a ceramic stopper. It's
less liable to get all gummed up with residues from the oil mix.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 09-08-2005, 11:41 AM
jw 1111

Trevor Appleton wrote:

Here we are in one of the driest parts of the country with only 16

inches of
rain in the 50 weeks up to two weeks ago, and our new ( 2 month old)
oak
table and chairs are black with mould.

Neat bleach works. Wear old clothes, keep pets and people away, and paint
every inch
with neat bleach. You may have to apply more than one coat. Best not to
apply in direct
sunlight as it dries the bleach out too quicky.

Just remember not to sit on it in good clothes afterwards.

Janet

i would not use neat bleach. people who maintain graves use a dilute
solution of supermarket bleach of 20% ie one part bleach to five parts
water. little and often is best. stronger is not always better. if i
remember correctly.

Old 09-08-2005, 11:49 AM
jw 1111

"nambucca" wrote in message

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in
message
Here we are in one of the driest parts of the country with only 16 inches

of
rain in the 50 weeks up to two weeks ago, and our new ( 2 month old) oak
table and chairs are black with mould.

Any suggestions how to :

a) Get rid of it

b) Keep it away

Trevor

East Yorkshire

Our teak furniture was the same fdespite correctly oiling it etc .......i
scrubbed it with bleach and then have varnished the lot with 5 year
woodstain and varnish .......now it looks good

does the 5 year woodstain really last five years ???

Old 09-08-2005, 12:23 PM

does the 5 year woodstain really last five years ???

swat it says on the can...

Old 09-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"jw 1111" writes:

| Our teak furniture was the same fdespite correctly oiling it etc .......i
| scrubbed it with bleach and then have varnished the lot with 5 year
| woodstain and varnish .......now it looks good
|
| does the 5 year woodstain really last five years ???

Only if varnished. Sane people use the varnishes developed for
marine use for outside work - they may cost more, but they last
much better than El Cheapo brand varnish :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.