Old 10-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Registered User

Default propagating beech

Hello All,

I would like to try and grow a beech from specific tree in a local park (Tricolor). Last year I took some cuttings just when the leaves dropped, used rooting hormone, but they were dead by spring. Has anyone ever successfully taken beech cuttings, how, when?

Thanks

Darren
Old 10-08-2005, 04:37 PM
J Jackson

djhughes wrote:

: I would like to try and grow a beech from specific tree in a local park
: (Tricolor). Last year I took some cuttings just when the leaves dropped,
: used rooting hormone, but they were dead by spring. Has anyone ever
: successfully taken beech cuttings, how, when?

I've tried and not succeeded. I think that you may need to graft.
I've seen purple beech growing green leaves from the base of the main
truck, and assume the tree was a purple graft on a standard seedling.

Old 10-08-2005, 06:39 PM
Brian

"J Jackson" wrote in message
djhughes wrote:

: I would like to try and grow a beech from specific tree in a local park
: (Tricolor). Last year I took some cuttings just when the leaves dropped,
: used rooting hormone, but they were dead by spring. Has anyone ever
: successfully taken beech cuttings, how, when?

I've tried and not succeeded. I think that you may need to graft.
I've seen purple beech growing green leaves from the base of the main
truck, and assume the tree was a purple graft on a standard seedling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grafting is your only option. Fortunately young beech trees are
readily available and could be grafted in the spring. An alternative is to
collect the mast from local beeches and hope that one of the seedlings has
some of the characteristics you want.
This worked very well for me with a glorious sycamore/acer; though I
cheated by letting the hundreds of seedlings grow naturally and just
selected the best.
Best Wishes Brian.

Propagating Beech seedy2311 United Kingdom 4 11-05-2008 01:52 PM
Beech Hedge Jimbo United Kingdom 3 04-06-2003 04:56 PM
beech cuttings possible? SusieThompson United Kingdom 2 02-06-2003 12:44 AM
will this beech tree survive alan kearn United Kingdom 1 05-03-2003 08:08 AM
Growing Roses through Beech hedges Grahame Fendle United Kingdom 3 25-11-2002 05:07 PM