Old 10-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Registered User

Smile budlea

hi there this is my first post.

I want to take a cutting of budlea it is the purple one i think id davidii but i am unsure quite how to go about it

babs
Old 10-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Jollygreenp

Buddleia cuttings root really easily. Just cut several green pieces
off the tree at growing tips. The pieces should be about 2 to 3 inches
long. Cut the end of the cuttings at the lowest leaf node just under
the leaves then gently pull off those leaves and any further up the
stem so that you have only two leaves left at the top. Pop the cutting
into cuttings around the dge of pot filled with cutting compost or mix
up some compost with sand if you haven't any cutting compost. water
the pot then put the pot into a plastic bag. Inflate the bag and use a
tie twist to close the bag. Pop it somewhere warm in the light and
look in a months time. You should have several cuttings rooted and
you'll need to pot them on.

Old 10-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article . com,
"Jollygreenp" writes:
| Buddleia cuttings root really easily. Just cut several green pieces
| off the tree at growing tips. The pieces should be about 2 to 3 inches
| long. Cut the end of the cuttings at the lowest leaf node just under
| the leaves then gently pull off those leaves and any further up the
| stem so that you have only two leaves left at the top. Pop the cutting
| into cuttings around the dge of pot filled with cutting compost or mix
| up some compost with sand if you haven't any cutting compost. water
| the pot then put the pot into a plastic bag. Inflate the bag and use a
| tie twist to close the bag. Pop it somewhere warm in the light and
| look in a months time. You should have several cuttings rooted and
| you'll need to pot them on.

I find it better to use mostly sand and NOT to enclose them in a
bag, because they often rot if enclosed. Given the vigour of the
average buddleja and the cheapness of sand (sharp sand, incidentally),
there is no harm in trying several methods. If the shoots are
longer than 3" between nodes, longer ones work fine - I use 6-9".

It is a very good plant to learn to take cuttings on.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:18 AM
cineman

Hi
Break a piece off about 1 to 2 foot long push into ground well water and
wait.
Now time for cup of tea.
regards
Cineman

--
babs

Old 12-08-2005, 01:47 PM
pammyT

"cineman" wrote in message
Hi
Break a piece off about 1 to 2 foot long push into ground well water and
wait.
Now time for cup of tea.
regards

I have found this method works very well indeed with buddlia.