GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lettuces (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/101520-lettuces.html)

cookyfemale 18-08-2005 06:51 PM

Lettuces

I need advice about my lettuces please, I'm trying to grow a variety that should grow all year round in patio pots, my prob is something keeps eating them when they are small. Is it slugs and if so would covering them over at night with something help?
Tracy.

Jupiter 18-08-2005 10:04 PM

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:51:50 +0000, cookyfemale
wrote:

I need advice about my lettuces please, I'm trying to grow a variety
that should grow all year round in patio pots, my prob is something
keeps eating them when they are small. Is it slugs and if so would
covering them over at night with something help?
Tracy.

Could be slugs but you'd normally see some evidence of them, i.e.
slime trails on the sides of your pots. Some birds are very fond of
them too (esp. pigeons) and they get up a lot earlier than we do.
Unless you've a great antipathy to using them, scatter a few mini slug
pellets around the plants and rig up some kind of netting over the
pots to keep the birds off.

cookyfemale 19-08-2005 09:44 AM

I havent seen any slug trails , so i guess its pidgeons.. I looked more closely yesterday and the roots are still there on one of my lettuces.