Old 18-08-2005, 06:51 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Lettuces

I need advice about my lettuces please, I'm trying to grow a variety that should grow all year round in patio pots, my prob is something keeps eating them when they are small. Is it slugs and if so would covering them over at night with something help?
Tracy.
Old 18-08-2005, 10:04 PM
Jupiter

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:51:50 +0000, cookyfemale
wrote:

I need advice about my lettuces please, I'm trying to grow a variety
that should grow all year round in patio pots, my prob is something
keeps eating them when they are small. Is it slugs and if so would
covering them over at night with something help?
Tracy.

Could be slugs but you'd normally see some evidence of them, i.e.
slime trails on the sides of your pots. Some birds are very fond of
them too (esp. pigeons) and they get up a lot earlier than we do.
Unless you've a great antipathy to using them, scatter a few mini slug
pellets around the plants and rig up some kind of netting over the
pots to keep the birds off.

Do cut lettuces keep on growing? MM United Kingdom 13 08-04-2005 05:11 PM
lettuces Jack1000 Edible Gardening 2 15-07-2004 12:02 AM
lettuces Jack1000 Edible Gardening 2 09-07-2004 09:02 PM
Lettuces and Spinach Greens-Collards North Carolina 0 20-05-2004 04:03 AM
Lettuces UNder Fleece LouP United Kingdom 8 02-07-2003 10:57 AM